History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Wentworth Arms and Adjoining Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Elmesthorpe, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5578 / 52°33'28"N

Longitude: -1.3066 / 1°18'23"W

OS Eastings: 447103

OS Northings: 295778

OS Grid: SP471957

Mapcode National: GBR 7LW.LGH

Mapcode Global: WHDJM.WYZZ

Entry Name: The Wentworth Arms and Adjoining Stables

Listing Date: 19 January 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189014

Location: Elmesthorpe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Elmesthorpe

Built-Up Area: Elmesthorpe

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Earl Shilton St Simon and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Elmesthorpe

Listing Text

ELMESTHORPE STATION ROAD
SP 49 NE (south west side)


1/24 The Wentworth Arms
and adjoining
stables
19/1/1970
II

Public house and adjoining stables. Built 1896 to the designs of
C F A Voysey for Lord Lovelace of Kirkby Mallory. Brick with
Swithland slate hipped and gabled roofs. 3 large external
lateral stacks. Single storey plus attics, 2 bays. The east
front has a full width flat roofed bay with 2 five light strip
casements, linked by a veranda over the recessed entrance to a
flat roofed bay window projecting diagonally to the left. Above,
to the right, a flat roofed dormer with an 8 light strip
casement. Beyond, to the right, a pair of wooden gates and
beyond them the outbuildings with a 2 light casement. South side
has an approximately central doorway and flanking light under a
common segmental head. Above the door, a 4 light strip casement.
To the left, a 3 light casement with a segmental head. Above, to
the right, a flat roofed dormer. North side has an arched recess
formed by the external flues containing a cellar opening and
above it, a 2 light casement, both with segmental heads. Above,
on the stack, a datestone inscribed '1896'. The adjoining L-
plan single storey stable range has to left a pair of carriage
doors flanked by single stable doors, and beyond, to the right, a
stable door and 3 small casements. Beyond again, a 2 bay open
cartshed. Beyond again to the left, a private stable with a
stable door. The interior has been entirely refitted c.1960.


Listing NGR: SP4710395778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.