This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6785 / 52°40'42"N
Longitude: -1.0987 / 1°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 461031
OS Northings: 309359
OS Grid: SK610093
Mapcode National: GBR FQ1.BQ
Mapcode Global: WHFK9.3X2Z
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Last Amended: 9 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189597
Location: Thurmaston, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE4
Civil Parish: Thurmaston
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Thurmaston St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 NW MELTON ROAD (East Side)
6/131 Church of St. Michael
(Previously listed as church of
1.6.66 St Michael and All Angels)
Parish Church, exterior largely of 1848 though the west tower is C14. Internally
some early C14 work remains, including the arcades. Randomly coursed granite
rubble throughout, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel.
Buttressed tower of 2 stages, with C19 west doorway in roll moulded and hollow
chamfered arch. 2-light C19 century window above. Paired foiled lights to bell
chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. Buttressed south aisle is of 1848:
the west window is in a Decorated style the others are Perpendicular. 3-lights
with paired lights above, in square headed openings with hoodmoulds and corbel
heads. South doorway has roll moulded and hollow chamfered archway. Aisle and
nave under a single sweep of roof. Chancel also of 1848 in Decorated style.
4-light east window. To the north east of Chancel a polygonal projecting chapel.
North aisle has similar details to south, with the addition of a large gabled
porch with parvise.
Internally, the arcades of the medieval church survive, and are of c1300. 5
bays round-chamfered arches on alternately octagonal and clustered columns,
with heavy abaci western bay is a shallower arch of less height and later date,
linking the existing church with the added tower, which has a tall double-chamfered
arch. Nave roof is Victorian, an ornate and unusual construction, since the
aisles are roofed under the same slope, the roof carried clear of the arcade
wall on a higher timber arcade. Nave roof itself is of hammer-beam construction,
ornately decorated in the spanadiels at the main braces. Narrow North doorway
with double chamfered arch and responds.
Chancel arch is east of the steps up to the chancel, and rests on high corbels.
Scissor braced roof 4-light east window with stained glass of 1879. East windows
of aisles contain glass of 1845, in the style of a painting.
Font probably Victorian, squared lower base rises through chamfering to an
octagonal section from which concave curves spring to support the plain octagonal
Listing NGR: SK6103109359
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings