History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hugh

A Grade II* Listed Building in Priddy, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2979 / 51°17'52"N

Longitude: -2.7166 / 2°42'59"W

OS Eastings: 350131

OS Northings: 155663

OS Grid: ST501556

Mapcode National: GBR JK.YHCJ

Mapcode Global: VH89B.VMPW

Entry Name: Church of St Hugh

Listing Date: 9 February 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 268094

Location: Priddy, Mendip, Somerset, BS40

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Priddy

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Blagdon

Listing Text

ST55NW PRIDDY CP
CHARTERHOUSE

2/75 Church of St Hugh
(previously listed in the parish
of Charter house)
9.2.61

GV II*

Anglican Church. Predominantly 1908 by W D Caroe on a slightly earlier meeting hall core. Roughcast on brick, battered
walls, thin sloping buttresses, stone tiled roof with wide eaves of varying height, hipped roof to vestry, copper clad
fleche with windvane, oak louvres, 2 roughcast chimneys. Continuous nave and chancel, the latter slightly narrower,
vestry of single storey to west end. Arts and Crafts style. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, one, 2, 3, 4 and 5-light
casenents, plain and unpainted, except to east end each light with a foiled head, east and west windows with iron
saddle bars and stanchions; square-paned leaded lights. Paired plank doors to north and south of nave, original
ironwork, small circular windows; door in conforming style to vestry. Interior plastered on plank floor with high
quality lined oak fittings and furniture. Walls with simple panelling, at west end enfolding the font to form a war
memorial, octagonal stone font. Nave with arch braced crown post roof; chancel with collar and tie beam roof, with
lower angle braces. Panelled semi-circular head chancel arch with C15 style rood screen; elaborate altar table and
reredos, the former in Celtic style. Nave and vestry with tiled fireplaces. Two readers, chest, lectern, chairs and
organ in Arts and Crafts style. Oil lamps. East and west windows with richly stained glass, the former with the
Nativity, the latter with the Apostles, by Horace Wilkinson. Vestry with iron pump. Formerly the parish church of the
Parish of Charterhouse, now amalgamated with Priddy. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958;
Church Guide).


Listing NGR: ST5013155663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.