This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2702 / 51°16'12"N
Longitude: -2.4372 / 2°26'14"W
OS Eastings: 369593
OS Northings: 152424
OS Grid: ST695524
Mapcode National: GBR MY.08B4
Mapcode Global: VH89P.PBWN
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267941
Location: Kilmersdon, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Kilmersdon
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
KILMERSDON CP CHURCH STREET (South side)
11/158 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
Anglican Parish Church. Of Norman origin, fabric substantially C15/C16; C19 restoration. Doulting ashlar, embattled
lead sheeting and slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle and north aisle chapel, C19 south organ loft and C19 vestry
in place of a south porch, west tower. Perpendicular. Tower embattled and of 4 stages, corner buttresses with shafts
and pinnacles, connected across the angle and ascending to large corner shafts, again pinnacles; traceried 3-light
bell-chamber windows with a dense quatrefoil interlace; blank 2-light windows on the 2 lower stages, flanking niches
for statuary, now missing: C19 three-light west window, though earlier label, carved heads as stops, west doorway,
again with label with carved heads, door with moulded surround, studded plank doors:- "1766". Five bay buttressed north
aisle and north aisle chapel, embattled parapet, gargoyles, pinnacles, 3-light windows; one incorporates a doorway,
plank door with fine strap hinges, decorated boot scrapers; 4-light east window. Short chancel with 3-light east window
- traces of Norman masonry. South side of nave with carved Norman corbel table and narrow semi-circular head window; 2
two-light clerestory windows. Organ loft incorporating further remains of corbel table. Vestry with 2-light window,
bellcote. Interior plastered on flagstone and marble floors. C19 roofs; except C15 panelled lean-to to aisle with
traces of painted decoration. Broad panelled chancel arch; lofty triple-panelled tower arch. Four-bay arcade to aisle,
piers of 4-hollows moulding. Robust angels forming corbels to former roofs in nave and chancel. Restored Perpendicular
stone screen between the aisle and chapel. Two niches with richly carved canopies to chapel. Good Perpendicular font.
Six C15 pews to nave; in aisle a detached section of a further high quality medieval traceried pew. Altar table with
carved caryatids. Pulpit with Jacobean work incorporated in a late C19 fabric. Foiled piscina. Good set of C19 pews,
copies of remaining medieval pews; also C19 choir stalls and altar rail; iron grille separating nave and chancel 1878
by Singers of Frome. Organ of 1899. Five C18 wall monuments, 14 principal C19 monuments, by Bath and Bristol firms;
some high quality C20 memorials; monument to vestry dated 1528. Fragments of Norman carving to chancel wall. Nine C19
stained glass windows; fragments of medieval glass in upper lights of chapel window. Studded plank door between nave
and vestry. (Church Guide, undated; Atthill R., Mendip A New Study, 1976;).
Listing NGR: ST6959752427
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings