History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall and Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Exton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6924 / 52°41'32"N

Longitude: -0.638 / 0°38'16"W

OS Eastings: 492149

OS Northings: 311395

OS Grid: SK921113

Mapcode National: GBR DSV.1JF

Mapcode Global: WHGLN.5LG8

Entry Name: Hall and Chapel

Listing Date: 18 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187335

Location: Exton, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Exton and Horn

Built-Up Area: Exton (Rutland)

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Exton with Horn St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Greetham

Listing Text


SK 9211-931 EXTON EXTON PARK

5/51 Hall & Chapel

II

Hall, built piecemeal around an earlier core, from 1811, but chiefly of
1850-51 by John Linnell Bond, in a Jacobethan style reminiscent of the
old hall. Chapel added following the conversion of the 8th Earl of
Gainsborough to Roman Catholicism, by Charles Alban Buckler, 1868 -
coursed rubble with quoins and string courses, stone tiled roof throughout.
2 storeys with attics. Assymmetrical south front with octagonal, ogee capped
turrets on outer angles, 2 full-height squared bay windows in shaped
gables, various tall mullion and transom windows and to the right, 3 bays
with tall sash windows, and a 4-centred arched projecting porch with
glazed double entrance doors, with a 12-light mullion and and transomed
window with cambered head over the porch. Continuous eaves parapet
throughout: a detail borrowed from the old hall. Right of the house,
and attached to it, is the chapel in C13 style, with 2 paired and foiled
lights to nave, which terminates in an apse with decorated eaves cornice.
Otherwise, the chapel is very plain to the south, though on the north, a
large projecting porch and an adjoining vestry beneath a gable containing
a rose window, and terminating in a bell turret, are more flamboyant.

West front of house in a different style with triple-light sash windows to
ground floor, venetian windows above. A curved 2-storey flanking wall
links this with a further large advanced to the west, and running N-S, in
Jacobethan style, with gables and a large octagonal turret ornamented with
a lozenge motif taken from the old hall. Ornamental parapet, gable finials
etc.

Rear of hall reveals piecemeal nature of its construction. In the centre,
is a 3-gabled range belonging to an earlier building, with coped gable
and flat stone lintels to casement windows, but partially concealed by
brick-built link to 4-gabled range to right, with gothick lattice-work
to windows.


Listing NGR: SK9269911215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.