History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oake, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0197 / 51°1'11"N

Longitude: -3.2096 / 3°12'34"W

OS Eastings: 315255

OS Northings: 125179

OS Grid: ST152251

Mapcode National: GBR LW.J4P3

Mapcode Global: FRA 465F.1G2

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307395

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271031

Location: Oake, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Oake

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Oake

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Oake

Listing Text

OAKE CP
ST12NE
OAKE VILLAGE
Church of St Bartholonew
2/81
25.1.56
II*
GV
Parish church. C13-C14, C15 2-storey porch became base of tower, upper stage added,
cl535 6-light window inserted in nave, porch said to be dated 1601, church reseated
1840, chancel roof rebuilt 1850, restored 1875 and 1911 when base oftower became
vestry. Red sandstone random rubble, red sandstone dressings, Ham stone for
imported window and C19 alterations, slate roofs, coped verges. Chancel,
south-east chapel, south tower with vestry, south-west porch, 2-bay nave.
Crenellated 2-stage tower, 2-light trefoil headed louvred bell-opening, 2-light
window above pointed arch opening blocked with inserted 4-centred arch doorway
with 2 small glazed openings above, abutting right two 2-light windows,3-light east
end, moulded 4-centred arch priest's door, 2-light window in south wall of chancel,
3-light east end,2-light north front, buttressed nave, 6-light Perpendicular window
said to have come from Taunton Priory after the church was dissolved in 1536 and
inserted back to front, 3-light west window, buttressed single storey porch with
pierced quatrefoil frieze, Perpendicular moulded arch opening with colonettes,
inner doorway Tudor arch head double roll moulded, tower abutting to east.
Interior: roughcast, exposed jambs, and section of random rubble wall in south-east
corner. Two bay arcade to chapel, octagonal piers with scratch moulded capitals,
arches chamfered in 2 orders. C19 barrel vault to nave which according to Kelly's
Directory in 1914 contained a fine C14 oak roof above; C19 ceiled barrel vault to
chapel, Trefoil headed piscina in chancel, C19 half-glazed double doors to vestry.
C17 octagonal wooden pulpit, C19 wooden lectern and pews; circular font on stem and
circular base, possibly Saxon.
(Photograph in NMR: Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST1525525179

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.