This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7523 / 52°45'8"N
Longitude: -1.1476 / 1°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 457626
OS Northings: 317523
OS Grid: SK576175
Mapcode National: GBR 8L2.JN1
Mapcode Global: WHDHY.B2RW
Entry Name: Theophilus Cave's Almshouses, Including Boundary Wall and Gate
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189270
Location: Barrow upon Soar, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Barrow upon Soar
Built-Up Area: Barrow upon Soar
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Barrow-upon-Soar Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 51 NE BARROW UPON SOAR CHURCH STREET
3/12 No.16 (Theophilus
1.6.66 Cave's almshouses,
wall and gate).
Almshouses, founded in 1686 by Humphrey Babington in memory of his Uncle,
Theophilus Cave, and intended to house 6 bachelors. A deep 'U' plan, 2 storeys.
Lower storey is original, random granite rubble, with later (early`C19?) flemish
bond brickwork to 1st floor. Limestone and brick dressings - limestone quoins.
Hipped slate roof. Windows are elaborately latticed casements (but some have
been replaced). Central range of 3 bays containing a central projecting
stone porch with Tuscan pilasters, and above the architrave, an overlight.
Above this, a broken pediment containing coat of arms. Boundary wall adjoins,
with central stone gateway with Tuscan pilasters, architrave and broken pediment
with arms and inscription plate beneath. Large consoles link gateway to boundary wall on each side.
Listing NGR: SK5762617523
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings