This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6256 / 52°37'32"N
Longitude: -1.3995 / 1°23'58"W
OS Eastings: 440747
OS Northings: 303260
OS Grid: SK407032
Mapcode National: GBR 7KZ.711
Mapcode Global: WHDJD.G8TH
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188015
Location: Market Bosworth, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13
District: Hinckley and Bosworth
Civil Parish: Market Bosworth
Built-Up Area: Market Bosworth
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Market Bosworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK4003 CHURCH STREET (east side)
Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Exterior largely Decorated (early C14) but some earlier
internal features. Coursed and squared limestone with ashlar dressings. West
tower and spire, nave with two aisles and clerestory, chancel. West tower of
three stages with clasping buttresses and tall paired foiled bell chamber
lights in deep embrasures. Embattled parapet with tiny angle pinnacles.
Recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Embattled parapet to aisle and
clerestory. Wide coped gabled porch to south door. Windows of aisle and
clerestory are in the Decorated style of three lights with slightly trefoiled
heads. Chancel windows are high and short. One is incorporated above the
priest's door. Plain parapet with gargoyles to cornice. Wide C.15 east
window of five lights. Stair turret in north east angle of nave and chancel.
Inside, restored in the "scrape' tradition. C13 tower arch, steep and narrow
and deeply moulded. Nave arcade of four bays to north and south: slender
clustered cylindrical shafts and hollow and roll moulded arches: the central
shaft continuing to articulate the clerestory. On the aisle side, this
central shaft is of wood, forming part of the former roof structure. Angel
corbelheads to C15 roof with shallow cambered ties. Wide chancel arch with
slim cylindrical shafts and outer hollow chamfer. Paired lights in the east
nave wall above it. In the south east angle of the north aisle is a
projecting angled stair turret to former rood with ogee arched doorway.
Openwork wood Victorian screen, richly wrought. Mosaic floor to chancel.
5-light east window is flanked by empty statue niches. Sedilia with fan
vaulting. North and south windows are high and low but contained in full
height in braziers. Monuments: in the north aisle a marble black and white
sarcophagus wall tablet surmounted by a single column, commemorating Sir
Wolstan Dixie d.1767. In the chancel in a north window recess a reclininq
female figure is the wife of John Dixie d.1846. Stained glass: simple
emblems in the clerestory. Gaudy narrative in the south aisle of 1904.
Stained glass saints in the windows above the chancel arch. In the chancel
east window undated glass by Kempe, darkly coloured, depicting the
Annuniciation of the Birth of Christ in a landscape, with architectural
niches and saints in towers above. Font is an octagonal basin with ornate
recessed traceried panels where traces of paint linger on the shields: four
filletted shafts support it, probably C14. Wrought iron font cover of the C19.
Listing NGR: SK4065503250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings