This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5724 / 52°34'20"N
Longitude: -1.2046 / 1°12'16"W
OS Eastings: 454003
OS Northings: 297469
OS Grid: SP540974
Mapcode National: GBR 8N4.N8D
Mapcode Global: WHDJP.GLMT
Entry Name: Congregational Church
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307474
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188984
Location: Narborough, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE19
Civil Parish: Narborough
Built-Up Area: Narborough/Enderby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Narborough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
NARBOROUGH SCHOOL LANE
SP 59 NW
7/62 Congregational Church
Congregational church. Dated 1770 on bricks, extended cruciform plan 1792,
refenestrated 1880, refronted 1882, vestry rebuilt 1900. Pale red brick, the
front of larger bricks; break eaves, part moulded, part off-set; slate roof-
Cruciform plan with vestry in east angle. 1882 front has off-set buttresses,
coped gable with moulded-verge, and octagonal stone finials. To either side, at
ground floor and gallery levels, are pairs of arched lights in chamfered stone
surrounds. To centre of gable is a round window with beam moulding and
chamfered hoodmould. Central porch with coped gable, finial, moulded arch over
double doors. Each side of church has gabled projection with marginally glazed
windows of 1880. At ground floor level are 2 paired lights with arched glazing
bars and cambered heads; above is a large arched window with 'Y' tracery flanked
by slightly shorter single arched lights. Rear wing has similar windows but has
been altered. Interior has gallery around 3 sides, pews of 1889, other late C19
fittings, and 1930s organ and choir stalls. Commemorative tablets to William
Hudson 1811, on entrance wall, and to Rev William Bedford 1863 and wife 1859.
Church was founded 1662, and a small square chapel built 1706. Traces of this
early building may be incorporated in present structure but are not obvious.
(Leicestershire and Rutland Congregational Union, The Story of Our Churches
1662- 1962, p.38-39.
Newsletters of Narborough Congregational Church Nos 52-61).
Listing NGR: SP5400397469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings