This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9083 / 50°54'30"N
Longitude: -2.9097 / 2°54'34"W
OS Eastings: 336135
OS Northings: 112490
OS Grid: ST361124
Mapcode National: GBR M9.R2N6
Mapcode Global: FRA 46SP.XZC
Entry Name: Oxenford House the Cottage Attached to West Gable with Pump
Listing Date: 13 March 1973
Last Amended: 30 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262155
Location: Dowlish Wake, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Dowlish Wake
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Dowlishwake
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST 31 SE DOWUSH WAKE CP
Oxenford House, and The
1210/2/38 Cottage attached to west
gable, with pump
13/3/73 (formerly listed as Oxenford
Farmhouse, C17 ,with eastern extension dated 1727, and The Cottage a C19 crosswing. Ham stone, mostly cut and squared, but first extension in ashlar, and cottage in rubble with ashlar dressings: thatched roof between stepped coped gables, but cottage has Welsh slates. 'L '-plan, 2 storeys with attic; north elevation 4 bays with cottage as further crosswing. Bay 1 is the dated extension, with plinth, string course, rusticated quoins both ends, and roof set higher; towards west end an inserted semi-circular arched casement of uncertain, possibly later C18, date; remaining windows are rectangular-leaded casements with internal ferramenta and iron-framed opening lights, 4-light bay 2, the.1ower with a label; 3-light bay 3, both set higher than the remainder, the upper cut into the thatch and with 2 small oval windows below; 4-light upper bay 4; lower bay 4 has a boarded door in heavy frame with casement sidelight, set under a label end protected by a thatched hood carried on reconstructed stone columns. The cottage projects for 2 bays, with a C20 horizontal-bar casement left of lower bay 2 under a rusticated voussoired lintel, and two 3-light leaded casements with similar lintels to first floor; lower bay 1 has a boarded door in a segmental-arched opening, and plain north gable. East gable of main house has rusticated quoins, stepped rusticated stones under gable coping, and string courses between each floor; hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, rectangular-leaded with iron-framed opening lights, 4-light to ground and first floors and 3-light to attic, all with labels, but the attic window has in addition a rusticated surround, above which, also in a rusticated surround, is a datestone incised 'JSS 1727', (possibly one of the Speke family, who held the manor). Set into the garden wall abutting this gable is a second datestone, inscribed 'TP 1682'. Rear elevation has hollow-chamfer mullioned windows. Inside, the ground floor east room has early C18 panelling, a bolection-mould fireplace set across the south-east corner, and panelled window seats; also on ground floor one early C17 door; on first floor several early C18 2-panel doors; roof frame has large collar-tie trusses, originally closed, and some wattle and daub remains. About half a metre from the north crosswing, on the north side, a cast-iron pump, with simple column having 3 collars, widening at the top for a collared spout, and having a long handle with ball termination and cap with bud finial.
THE COTTAGE: ATTACHED TO WEST GABLE OF OXENFORD HOUSE AND THE PUMP WERE INCLUDED ON 30TH NOVEMBER 1987
Listing NGR: ST3613512490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings