History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wyddial Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wyddial, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9682 / 51°58'5"N

Longitude: -0.0013 / 0°0'4"W

OS Eastings: 537404

OS Northings: 231850

OS Grid: TL374318

Mapcode National: GBR K8Q.DJD

Mapcode Global: VHGNQ.XSPL

Entry Name: Wyddial Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307579

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160372

Location: Wyddial, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wyddial

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hormead with Wyddial

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3731 WYDDIAL WYDDIAL
(North side)

10/151 Wyddial Hall
19.10.51

GV II*

Country house. Early C16 (probably 1516 for Humphrey Wellisbourne),
remodelled after a fire and given present appearance 1733 for Francis
Goulston. Altered c.1780 for John Thomas Ellis MP. NW service wing and
main staircase 1836-65 for Charles Heaton-Ellis. Stuccoed brick with
steep tiled roofs. A tall striking 2-storeys, cellar (and formerly
attics) house facing E with central 2-storeys porch, canted 2-storeys
bay window at each end of front, balustraded parapet over moulded
entablature with triglyph frieze. 3 windows each side of porch. Recessed
sash windows with 6/6 panes to lower floor and bays, tall casement
windows to 1st floor with segmental heads. Entrance door has radial
fanlight in semi circular head with resticated vermiculated surround. S
garden front of 6 windows with similar sashes. Curved screenwall at N
end. Drapentier engraving c.1700 shows C16 brick house of same bulk with
central 2-storeys porch in same position and tall semi-circular bay
window lighting hall extending to S of porch. 2 Doric columns now
correspond to the hall screens. There was a lateral chimney and the
service rooms to N of hall with surviving cellars below. The roof must
have been rebuilt before 1700 incorporating attics and dormers. The plan
resulting from rebuilding after the fire of 1733 was uncharacteristic of
the time due to incorporation of much of the existing structure. The
hall was floored over, the bay windows added, the porch refurbished, the
main range made double-pile, the SW wing enlarged and the roof rebuilt
incorporating older timbers. The present early Victorian stair replaced
a C17 or C18 stair at the rear of the N part and the service rooms were
moved to the W range. When the present toplit elegent stair was created
the NW service wing was added behind it. The interior has a small
panelled room on the 1st floor with scratch moulded small panels. The
fine hall firesurround is said to come from Cokenach. (RCHM (1911) 245:
VCH (1914) 114, 116: Pevsner (1977) 411-12; RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3740431850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.