History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yorton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7962 / 52°47'46"N

Longitude: -2.7502 / 2°45'0"W

OS Eastings: 349511

OS Northings: 322336

OS Grid: SJ495223

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.WY74

Mapcode Global: WH8B7.QZK7

Entry Name: Yorton House

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Last Amended: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259994

Location: Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer H

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: BroughtonSt Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Myddle

Listing Text

SJ 52 SW BROUGHTON C.P. -

8/1 Yorton House
28.10.60 (formerly listed
as Yorton Villa)

- II

Shown on O.S. map as Yorton Villa.
Farmhouse, now house. Late C18, remodelled and extended c.1830. Stuccoed
to front (lined as ashlar) over red brick; hipped slate roof, 2-span
to rear. 2 and 3 storeys. Plinth, plat band at first-floor cill level,
and dentil brick eaves cornice; pairs of integral rendered brick end
stacks (left-hand at rear now demolished). 3 bays; glazing bar sashes,
round-arched ground-floor windows with louvred shutters. Pair of central
doors with 3 raised and fielded panels each, reeded architrave, segmental
fanlight and surround with reeded pilaster strips, moulded imposts,
and reeded archivolt with key; flight of 9 stone steps (some replaced
with concrete in mid-C20) with low curving flanking walls and square
end piers with globe finials. Circa 1830 two-bay addition set back
to left with painted dressed sandstone plinth, plat band at first-
floor cill level, dentil brick eaves cornice and 16-pane glazing bar
sashes. Right-hand return front (of main block) with central ground-
and first-floor round-arched windows (axial to central corridor).
Rear of main block: 3 storeys. Segmental-headed glazing bar sashes,
horizontal sliding to second floor. Interior not inspected. The owner
(December 1985) suggests that the main entrance was formerly to the
north-east (now a round-arched window) and was moved to its present
position c.1830.


Listing NGR: SJ4951122336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.