History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bury

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. Paul's Walden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8811 / 51°52'52"N

Longitude: -0.276 / 0°16'33"W

OS Eastings: 518760

OS Northings: 221689

OS Grid: TL187216

Mapcode National: GBR H6V.317

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.5ZF9

Entry Name: The Bury

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 8 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307601

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162979

Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kimpton

Listing Text

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN ST PAUL'S WALDEN BURY

12/186 The Bury (formerly listed as
9.6.52 St Paul's Walden Bury House)

GV II*

Country house. Early C18 (Kelly (1914)232 saysc.1740) for Edward Gilbert
(1680-1762) who succeeded in 1724 and rebuilt chancel of Parish Church
1727 when he was described as 'of the Bury'. N facade, interior of N hall
and polygonal flanking wings dated '1767' on 2 rainwater heads, one on
SE with 'MB' for Mary Bowes daughter of Edward Gilbert and widow of
George Bowes of Gibside, Durham. (Attributed by Pevsner following
Peter Leach, to James Paine the elder (1716-89) who had designed the
mausoleum for George Bowes in 1760-61 and was engaged on Brocket Hall,
Herts c.1760-70). Large S range 1887 by Castings for Lord Glamis
replacing 2-storeys service wing. W drawing room 1938 by
Louis de Soissons. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. C19
parts have red brick with black brick diaper and steep slate roofs.
Original 3-storeys, 5 windows wide square house faces N with pitched
roof expressed as front pediment. Contemporary extensive formal woodland
garden extends to N with 3 main alleys radiating from entrance to house
in French manner. Front refaced when symmetrical 2-storeys polygonal
wings added to E and W projecting to N, in 1767. Entrance now with E
side of irregular 2-storeys C19 range running southward with 3-storeys S
crosswing terminated at E by a'4-storeys tower. N front of tuck-pointed
red brick with chamfered stone plinth, painted stone plat-band at 1st
floor level across wings and centre, second floor band across centre at
level of painted modillioned eaves cornice of wings. Painted cornice and
pediment to centre. Recessed sash windows with flat gauged arches, stone
sills and plastered reveals. 2nd floor of 3/3 panes, first floor windows
in centre cut down in early C19 to give 9/9 panes, ground floor there of
6/6 panes with central half-glazed door in triangular pedimented Ionic
doorcase. Flanking wings have 3/3 panes similar sash windows to 1st
floor and 6/6 to ground floor. The canted projection with reserved sides
on the N side of both and on the E side of the left hand wing have a
central round arched recess with moulded round arched head to sash
window with impost blocks and sill extended across the recess and
baluster below the opening. Early C18 flush box sash windows with
segmental arches survive on W side of main block beyond the projecting
wing. E front has pedimented entrance porch on Tuscan decorated columns
and Bowes-Lyon arms in pediment. Projecting gabled part to right hand
with oriel lower window in centre. Half-octagonal bay to left hand.
Mullioned and transomed leaded windows with flat gauged arches.
Parapeted tower has 2-storeys balustraded oriel. High garden wall with
rusticated piers runs S and then W with Tudor-arched gateway. Interior
of N range has segmental decorated plaster vaulted hall occupying the
whole of the centre, with apses each end screened by columns in
Adamesque manner, with Music Room at W with moulded dado, cornice,
damask hung walls, semi-circular bay to N, and fire surround carved with
flutes. More elaborate Drawing Room in NE pavillion has semi-circular
bays to N, S and E, elaborate plasterwork, and chimneypiece following
the concave curve of the S bay with tapering pilasters. Ceilings similar
to Paine's work at Brocket Hall. (VCH (1908)406: Pevsner (1977)330:
Morris (1980)54).


Listing NGR: TL1876021689

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.