This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1892 / 52°11'21"N
Longitude: -2.5096 / 2°30'34"W
OS Eastings: 365256
OS Northings: 254675
OS Grid: SO652546
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4B2B
Mapcode Global: VH856.G73L
Entry Name: 29, Old Road
Listing Date: 12 July 1973
Last Amended: 2 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151046
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/218 OLD ROAD
(Formerly listed as:
A C17 dwelling with later extension to the rear.
MATERIALS: Small timber-framing with brick infill. It has a clay-tiled roof and brick chimney stack.
PLAN: The main range is orientated roughly south-west to north-east, parallel with Old Road. It has two bays and a perpendicular range to the rear, forming an L-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: The principal elevation has two bays and two storeys; the upper storey is built into the attic and has two dormers. At ground-floor level there is a solid door to the far right and a glazed door to the left. Both sit within frame members with carved bases. There are two casement windows between the doors with nine and six lights with projecting cills. Below the eaves there are irregularly-positioned braces. The dormers have six-light casement windows. There is a chimney stack at the rear.
The east gable end is painted brick at ground-floor level and has weather boarding at the top. There is a four-light casement in the attic storey. The rear range projects from the western bay; it has a pitched roof with dormers.
INTERIOR: Not inspected
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 29 Old Road is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, which runs east from the vicarage and church. It is a continuation of Cruxwell Street, which was known as Corkeswalle Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Croxewalle Streate in 1575. It becomes Old Road at the junction with the High Street and was known as Sheep Street in the early C20. This central area of the town to the west and south of the church appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time. The main range of No. 29 Old Road dates from the C17 and was subsequently extended to the rear.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 29 Old Road, a C17 timber framed dwelling is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: an attractive arrangement on the principal facade, with exposed, well-executed timber framing
* Intactness: the exterior is largely unaltered and it retains the greater proportion of its pre-1700 structural fabric
* Historic: a good example of the local vernacular architecture
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings