History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drinking Fountain in South East Corner of Churchyard, Church of Saint Martin of Tours

A Grade II Listed Building in West Coker, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9196 / 50°55'10"N

Longitude: -2.6888 / 2°41'19"W

OS Eastings: 351678

OS Northings: 113570

OS Grid: ST516135

Mapcode National: GBR ML.QBMN

Mapcode Global: FRA 568P.09Z

Entry Name: Drinking Fountain in South East Corner of Churchyard, Church of Saint Martin of Tours

Listing Date: 30 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307647

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263799

Location: West Coker, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: West Coker

Built-Up Area: West Coker

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Coker

Listing Text

WEST COKER CP CHURCH STREET
6151tS
9/241 Drinking Fountain in South East
Corner of Churchyard, Church of
Saint Martin of Tours
-
GV II

Drinking fountain. 1887. Ham stone. On squarish base about 600mm wide, with stone bowl about 600mm high, then a
tapered column about 2 metres high giving overall effect of a pinnacle; roll moulds to edges, then string course,
corner gablets with praying (or drinking) figures, between which are two shields with initials W.C.L. and E.W. (for
Miss Wood); short spirelet on top of which a stone state crown. Panel bears the legend "To the Glory of God, built in
Jubilee Year 1887. Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again, but whosoever drinketh of the water that I
give shall (never thirst John 4 v 13-14)". Text in brackets eroded. The water issues from a lion's head, now fitted
with tap. Erected largely at instigation of Miss Wood: the ceremonial silver key with which she 'opened' it is
preserved in the Church of Saint Martin of Tours (qv).


Listing NGR: ST5167813570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.