This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9032 / 52°54'11"N
Longitude: -2.4849 / 2°29'5"W
OS Eastings: 367481
OS Northings: 334085
OS Grid: SJ674340
Mapcode National: GBR 7V.P2X6
Mapcode Global: WH9C3.S9X5
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Last Amended: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260372
Location: Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Market Drayton
Built-Up Area: Market Drayton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Market Drayton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 6634-6734 MARKET DRAYTON C.P. SHROPSHIRE STREET
13/68 No. 29 (The Red House)
7.5.52 (formerly listed as The Red
House, now divided into flats. MId-C18 with additions of c.1900. Red
brick with some painted sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof.
3 storeys. Chamfered brick quoins at angles, stone plinth, first-floor
stone cill band, moulded stone cornice, parapet with stone coping,and central
3-bay triangular pediment with broken -back centre. Integral brick end
stacks with moulded stone caps. Central brick stack behind ridge.
2:3:2 bays, with central break; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes,
painted rusticated stone lintels with raised keystones, and painted stone
cills. Central 6-panelled door with panelled reveals, moulded architrave
and Ionic doorcase consisting of 3/4 fluted columns supporting entablature
and triangular pediment, broken back at each end. 3 stone steps with
curved ends, and cast-iron boot scraper. Remains of former railed enclosures
flanking entrance with low stone walls. Circa 1900 one-bay addition
set back to left with plinth, chamfered cill bands to first and second
floor, moulded stone cornice and coped parapet. Integral brick end stack
to left. 16-pane glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and painted
rusticated stone lintels with raised keystones. Rear (garden front):
5 bays. Central 4-panelled half-glazed door with porch consisting of
thin cast-iron columns and hood with moulded cornice and panelled soffit.
Interior: entrance hall and staircase hall with moulded cornice. Early
C19 oak staircase with open string, cut brackets, fluted stick balusters
(3 per tread), moulded ramped handrail and wreathed newel. Matching
landing balustrade. Right-hand word-floor rear room: C18 ornament including
enriched plaster frieze with alternating swags and amphorae, and cornice
with acanthus enrichment. Fireplace with marble surround, fluted frieze
with central panel consisting of oval panel depicting a scene and flanking
urns and drops, and enriched cornice. Blocked former archway to front
room. Right-hand ground-floor front room: corner fireplace. Moulded
cornice. Early C19 attic staircase with open string, cut brackets, fluted
stick balusters (2 per tread), moulded handrail, and wreathed newel.
6-panelled doors throughout with moulded architraves. Pair of elliptical-
arched first-floor doorways with pilastered surrounds. Interior only
partly inspected because of division into flats.
Listing NGR: SJ6748134085
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings