History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Badgers Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Market Drayton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9029 / 52°54'10"N

Longitude: -2.4856 / 2°29'8"W

OS Eastings: 367436

OS Northings: 334048

OS Grid: SJ674340

Mapcode National: GBR 7V.P2RY

Mapcode Global: WH9C3.S9LF

Entry Name: Badgers Court

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260376

Location: Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Market Drayton

Built-Up Area: Market Drayton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Market Drayton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Market Drayton

Listing Text

SJ 6634-6734 MARKET DRAYTON C.P. SHROPSHIRE STREET
(south-east side)

13/72 Nos. 43 and 45
(Badgers Court)

GV II

House, now 2 shops and flat. Dated 1651, with mid-to late C19 alterations.
Rendered timber framing and plain tile roof. L-plan; 2 framed bays (formerly
jettied to front) with rear wing. 2 storeys. 2 gables to front. Brick stack behind ridge
just off-centre to right. 3-window front: first-floor segmental-headed 4-pane sashes. shop-fronts
consisting of probably mid-C20 projecting 3 x 1 plate glass windows with
fascia and late C19 surround with carved brackets supporting moulded cornice;
recessed doorway with mid-C19 surround consisting of flanking convex pilaster
strips with roundels above and panel above door. Lean-to addition in
angle at rear. Reset doorway in rear wing with 4 raised and fielded panels.
Interior: square-panelled timber framed right-hand end and rear walls
(rear wall with exposed wattle and daub and woven-lath panels). Ovolo-
moulded spine beams. Formerly jettied first floor; bressumer with sunk
chamfer, carved geometrical patterns, and dated "1651 .:. GS"; evidence
of former moulded sub-bressumer or brackets (see each end). Inserted
C19 cast-iron posts to support first floor. Re-ordered C17 panelling,
some in rear corridor with carved blind arcading and frieze. Late C17
door with 6 raised and fielded panels also in rear corridor. Local people
report complete framing with expressed pegs, noted when the render was
removed


Listing NGR: SJ6743634048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.