History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sweeney Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry Rural, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8318 / 52°49'54"N

Longitude: -3.0505 / 3°3'1"W

OS Eastings: 329320

OS Northings: 326545

OS Grid: SJ293265

Mapcode National: GBR 73.TPHR

Mapcode Global: WH8B3.32MX

Entry Name: Sweeney Hall

Listing Date: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255626

Location: Oswestry Rural, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Morton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ball

Listing Text

SJ 22 NE OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. A 483 (east side)

5/150 Sweeney Hall
-

GV II

Country house, now hotel. 1805 (datestone to right return) incorporating
parts of a late C18 building; extended c.1860 with later additions
and alterations. Main building ashlar with earlier red brick service
range and outbuildings to rear; low-pitched hipped slate roof with
stone ridge stacks hidden behind moulded eaves parapet. 2 storeys;
continuous floor band with giant Tuscan pilasters to corners and
flanking central porch; 5 x 3 bays, sash windows, those on first floor
to front and right return without glazing bars, tall 15-paned sashes
to ground floor (dummy windows on each floor to centre and right bays
of left return and to centre on right return); canted entrance porch
(probably slightly later) has glazing bar sashes to either side of
6-panel door with flanking pilasters; rectangular overlight has C19
stained glass armorial shield with legend "Dread Shame". L-shaped
service range to rear (altered in late C19 but with glazing bar sashes
and gauged heads) has single-storey yellow-brick corridor extension on
south linking main house with Jacobean-style east wing of c.1860:
also yellow brick with mullioned windows and prominent red brick ridge
and end stacks with shafts of star section. Interior: open-well stone
staircase with latticed cast-iron balustrade lit by oval cupola (now
with fibreglass glazing); fine plaster frieze to ceiling of left ground-
floor room (former library) and further friezes to former drawing room
and dining room on right side of house; wooden vaulting in corridor
linking main house with east wing said to be based on that in corridors
of the House of Commons. The house is set in a fine parkland landscape.
B.O.E., p. 300.


Listing NGR: SJ2932026545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.