History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Maltsters Tap

A Grade II Listed Building in Cardington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5514 / 52°33'4"N

Longitude: -2.7298 / 2°43'47"W

OS Eastings: 350611

OS Northings: 295085

OS Grid: SO506950

Mapcode National: GBR BK.D8NN

Mapcode Global: VH83B.M4QG

Entry Name: The Maltsters Tap

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 7 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259562

Location: Cardington, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cardington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hope Bowdler

Listing Text


SO 5095-5195 CARDINGTON C.P. CARDINGTON

12/21 The Maltsters Tap
29.1.52 (formerly listed
as Fold Farm and
Old Malthouse at
rear of Fold Farm)

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Honeysuckle Cottage.
Farmhouse, now house. Circa 1600 with late C18 and C19 alterations
and additions. Timber framed with plastered infill; partly rebuilt
and extended in coursed yellow/brown sandstone rubble with grey sandstone
rubble with grey sandstone quoins and red brick window heads; partly
pebbledashed; plain tile roofs. Irregular plan; c.1600 flush cross-
wing with C18 range to right and later additions at rear. Framing:
square panels, formerly 4 from sole plate to wall plate (ground-floor
underbuilt up to 2 panels high), with parallel diagonal struts forming
lozenge patterns. 2 storeys. Integral brick end stack to right,
integral lateral brick stack to left and integral lateral C20 brick
stack at rear. 3-window front; 3-light C19 wooden casements and central
first-floor 2-light wooden casement , all except first-floor left-
hand window with segmental heads; central C20 boarded door with gabled
porch. Collar and tie-beam truss exposed in left-hand gable with
parallel diagonal struts, and v-struts with quatrefoil panel in apex.
Interior: left-hand ground-floor front room has chamfered cross-beamed
ceiling and large open fireplace; square-panelled timber framed internal
cross-wall between c.1600 range and C18 addition (probably former
external wall). The house formerly had a 2-bay hall range to the
left with an attached barn. One bay of the hall range still survives
attached to the barn (q.v.) but the other has been demolished (probably
when the house was extended to the right in the C18) separating the
two buildings. The rear part of the house was formerly a separate
malt-house.


Listing NGR: SO5060895090

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.