History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Malthouse Attached to Right Side of the Willow Tree

A Grade II Listed Building in Croesowallt, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8611 / 52°51'39"N

Longitude: -3.0585 / 3°3'30"W

OS Eastings: 328828

OS Northings: 329816

OS Grid: SJ288298

Mapcode National: GBR 73.RTSN

Mapcode Global: WH78R.ZBQY

Entry Name: Former Malthouse Attached to Right Side of the Willow Tree

Listing Date: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255607

Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry

Built-Up Area: Croesowallt

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

SJ 2829 NE OSWESTRY C.P. WILLOW STREET

(south-west side)
Former malthouse
13/133 attached to right
- side of The Willow
Tree

GV II

Theatre, later malthouse, now disused. Circa 1819 with later additions
and alterations. Red brick with uncoursed limestone rubble to left
side and regularly coursed limestone to rear gable, slate roof with
gable at right-angles to street. 3 levels, stone band with widely
spaced dentils to front gable and brick dentilled eaves cornices to
left and right; 3 bays, central forming slightly projecting break,
segmental-headed fixed-light windows with door to lower right, infilled
roundel to gable; right return also has 3 tiers of segmental-headed
windows with double doors, one on each floor, to left; infilled round-
headed arch to rear gable. Mid- to late C19 two-storey gabled range to
rear. Interior: inspection not possible at time of re-survey (August
1985) but said to retain features from use as malthouse; theatre fittings
all removed. Opened as a theatre in 1819 but converted to malthouse in
1850s. Isaac Watkin, Oswestry (1920) p. 151.


Listing NGR: SJ2882829813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.