History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Church with Railings Abutting to North

A Grade II Listed Building in North Curry, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0213 / 51°1'16"N

Longitude: -2.9732 / 2°58'23"W

OS Eastings: 331835

OS Northings: 125113

OS Grid: ST318251

Mapcode National: GBR M6.HYC9

Mapcode Global: FRA 46NF.3HK

Entry Name: Methodist Church with Railings Abutting to North

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Last Amended: 21 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307697

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270872

Location: North Curry, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: North Curry

Built-Up Area: North Curry

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
North Curry

Listing Text

NORTH CURRY CP WINDMILL HILL (North side)
ST3125

10/89 Methodist Church with railings
abutting to north
(formerly listed as Methodist
Chapel)

25.2.55

- II

Methodist chapel. Dated 1833, extensions c1900. Red brick, Flemish bond, hipped and pyramid slate roofs. Plan:
rectangular chapel with set back vestry rooms attached at west corner. Two storeys, 1:3 bays, full height round-headed
4 x 3-pane moulded mullioned windows to chapel right, left in vestry rooms round headed 3 x 3-pane mullioned window
first floor with 2 x 3-pane square headed window below, rectangular marble plaque set between; door right with fanlight
facing in re-entrant angle of chapel, double doors with semi-circular headed lattice work top, both doorways sharing
curved lead canopy with decorative valence, supported on vestry side by inserted late C20 section of brick wall. Ham
stone tablet above chapel entrance, inscribed Wesleyan Chapel 1833, marble tablet in addition declares that it was
erected in memory of Ann Mitchell Morris, died 1900. Cast iron railings in dwarf wall, decorative heads, continued
north-east for about 20 m terminating in square red brick pier; fronting graveyard onto road. (Photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST3183525113

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.