History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Trefnant Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6874 / 52°41'14"N

Longitude: -3.0213 / 3°1'16"W

OS Eastings: 331063

OS Northings: 310453

OS Grid: SJ310104

Mapcode National: GBR B5.3NV9

Mapcode Global: WH8BP.KQJ5

Entry Name: Lower Trefnant Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259051

Location: Westbury, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Westbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Great Wollaston

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Wollaston

Listing Text

SJ 31 SW WOLLASTON C.P. -

4/144 Lower Trefnant Farmhouse
-

- II

Farmhouse. Probably late C16 or early C17 with later C17 and C18
alterations; remodelled in the early C19. Red brick incorporating
timber framed core; slate roof. T-plan; projecting gabled cross-
wing to south and later infill to north-east. 2 storeys and attic
over basement. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Large former external
brick lateral stack to east and external brick lateral stack to cross-
wing at south. West front: 1:1 windows; 3-light segmental-headed
wooden casements; 2-light wooden attic casement in cross-wing; C20
two-light wooden casement replacing door in return of cross-wing; C19
lean-to outbuilding and porch to left with glazed door and boarded door
to left. East front: 2:3 windows; early to mid-C19 wooden cross-
windows to left; lean-to infill addition in angle to right with 2 first-
floor casements flanking central blind window, 2 ground-floor segmental-
headed blind windows to right and half-glazed door to left with C20
gabled brick porch. Interior: square-panelled timber framed cross-
wall in kitchen; timber framed wall to former cross-passage with
closely-spaced uprights and chamfered ogee-headed doorway; C17 corner
fireplaces; fine early C18 dog-leg staircase with landing, closed
string, turned balusters, moulded ramped handrail, square corner newel
post and top and bottom newels consisting of clusters of 4 balusters;
probably early C19 corner cupboard on ground floor with arched head and
probably early C19 arch at top of stairs; first-floor C18 doors with
2 raised and fielded panels and L-hinges; C17 roof with collar and tie-
beam trusses and single and pairs of purlins. The house was known as
the New House in the C17 and was first so named in 1597. A number of
C17 alterations are recorded but it is known that the house was
extensively repaired shortly before 1817 and much of the external
walling probably dates from around this time. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.195.


Listing NGR: SJ3106310453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.