History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Staplegrove, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0326 / 51°1'57"N

Longitude: -3.1248 / 3°7'29"W

OS Eastings: 321225

OS Northings: 126516

OS Grid: ST212265

Mapcode National: GBR M0.H85Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 46BD.4G0

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307721

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270683

Location: Staplegrove, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA2

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Staplegrove

Built-Up Area: Taunton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Taunton

Listing Text

ST22NW STAPLEGHOVE CP RECTORY ROAD (West side)

5/227 The Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory, now lodging house. Circa 1835, enlarged early C20. Rendered over rubble, grooved is ashlar in part, roughcast
early C20 addition, shallow pitched hipped slate roofs over canted bays, steeply pitched gabled addition with
bargeboards left, brick stacks. Plan: double pile. 2 storeys, 1:3:1: bays; main block full height canted outer bays,
16-pane sashes on each facade, blocked windows right bay centre and flanking outer bays left, ground floor mullioned
and transomed French windows, possibly contemporary with facade but probably renewed early C20, central ashlar Ham
stone Tuscan doorcase, segmental headed fanlight with scalloped glazing bars, double half-glazed doors, inner doors
also double, half glazed with marginal glazing bars and-panelled reveals. Addition to left, first floor 16-pane sash
window set to left, ground floor similar in centre, string course. Right return single storey lean-to gabled
conservatory (not included), mixed fenestration including early C19 2 light leaded casement below eaves. Rear
elevation overlooking churchyard of Church of St John (qv), mixed fenestration under square hoodmoulds. Interior: early
C19 stick stair, cut string, mahogany handrail set at rear of toplit, full-height entrance hall with balcony and arched
recesses on first floor, C20 wrought iron railings. Many original-panelled doors. Front room rijht marble fireplace
with detached columns, frieze of anthema, modern grate, also plasterwork cornices of acanthus leaves and fixed foliage.
front rood left said to contain similar decoration, both have original shutters. In poor condition at tide of survey
(December 1983),


Listing NGR: ST2122526516

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.