History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Feature at Ngr Sj 41366 34472

A Grade II Listed Building in Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9045 / 52°54'16"N

Longitude: -2.8732 / 2°52'23"W

OS Eastings: 341364

OS Northings: 334474

OS Grid: SJ413344

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.P4KW

Mapcode Global: WH89S.T8Z5

Entry Name: Garden Feature at Ngr Sj 41366 34472

Listing Date: 25 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260847

Location: Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ellesmere

Listing Text

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. OTELEY
SJ 4034 4134
SJ 41366 34472
18/147 Garden feature at N.G.R.
- SJ 41366 34472
- II
Garden feature of uncertain function. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles
Kynaston Mainwaring. Yellow sandstone ashlar and snecked rock-faced
sandstone. In 2 sections, upper consisting of rectangular bastion with
corbelled parapet, lower a buttressed revetment wall with coped parapet,
some dislodged and lying on ground at time of resurvey (February 1987).
Infilled Tudor arch to front of bastion. Charles Kynaston Mainwaring
was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively on the continent.
It is believed that he was personally responsible for much of the design
of the garden and park at Oteley and for the features therein. His
house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site of
an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was
demolished c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills
Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980),pp.106-7; Francis Leach,
The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp. 19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse
Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p.58.


Listing NGR: SJ4136434474

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.