This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9099 / 51°54'35"N
Longitude: -0.2861 / 0°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 517994
OS Northings: 224875
OS Grid: TL179248
Mapcode National: GBR H6G.6HH
Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.0846
Entry Name: The Chequers with Wall and Outhouses Fronting Chequer Lane
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162887
Location: Preston, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Preston
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1724 & TL 1824 PRESTON HITCHIN ROAD
8/95 & 9/95 The Chequers with wall
and outhouses fronting
House, sometime a public house, with wall and outhouses. C17 or earlier,
brick casing and parallel rear wing early C18, recorded as the "Chekers"
in 1788, where the manor courts of Temple Dinsley were held, closed as a
public house 1959, renovated and extended in 1960s. Timber frame front
range, red brick elsewhere and as casing to front range, and infill
panels to frame exposed on E gable end. Roughcast gable triangle at W
and rear part. Steep old red tile roofs. 2-storeys and cellar, 3 windows
long house on road junction facing S, with 2-storeys and cellar parallel
rear wing projecting to E and W. S front has plinth and red and blue
bricks in Flemish-bond with lighter red dressings to openings and
alternating with blue headers in segmental arches below the plat-band.
Flush 2-lights casement windows with small panes. Brick casing to W
gable later than front. Large internal chimney a third from W end, and
projecting E gable chimney with tumbled brick offsets. E end has exposed
frame with collar and tie-beam of a clasped-purlin roof and storey-height
studs. C20 large segmental flat topped bow window in middle of front.
Cellar under W room. Part of rear range projecting at E has plinth,
plat-band, box eaves, and moulded brick corbelling to kneeler of moulded
brick gable parapet rising to internal gable chimney. S window has light
red gauged flat arch. Segmental arches to small windows in end. Cellar
below. From rear corner a C20 2-storeys brick and tile wing extends to
the NW with entrance door flanked by windows. From SW corner of front
range a 2M high brick wall runs NW with battered buttresses, a boarded
gate with square piers, and linking to a single-storey gabled outhouse
along the N boundary of the site. This has a gable parapet and blocked
openings to road and brick infill over a timber sill plate at NE.
Interior of house has axial beams, 3-bays framed structure, and large
open fireplace to chimney at W end of larger middle bay. Space for
lobby-entrance in front of stack, and for stair behind. One cellar is
Listing NGR: TL1799424875
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings