History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Tong, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6638 / 52°39'49"N

Longitude: -2.3018 / 2°18'6"W

OS Eastings: 379687

OS Northings: 307384

OS Grid: SJ796073

Mapcode National: GBR 06X.T2G

Mapcode Global: WH9DC.M94Q

Entry Name: The Old Post Office

Listing Date: 26 May 1955

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255321

Location: Tong, Shropshire, TF11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Tong

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Tong St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Albrighton

Listing Text

SJ 70 NE
6/32

TONG C.P.
NEWPORT ROAD (North-East side),
The Old Post Office

(formerly listed as The Post Office)

26/5/55

GV II

Entrance Lodge, now house. Late C18 or early C19, re-built to South-
East circa 1946. Squared and coursed sandstone, red brick to South-West
with stone dressings and old tile roof. Gothick Lodge partly re-built
circa 1946 in a Neo-Georgian style. 1½ and 2 storeys. Plinth, string
course, triangular pedimented gable end to front with raised brick cornice
and verge, and 2 stacks to rear. 1:1:1 bay rhythm; centre bay projecting
with small triangular pedimented gable end, and end bays curving outwards.
Leaded casements; central first floor 3-light window with arched centre
light, and 2-light ground floor windows flanking central 3-light window
with carved coat of arms above. North-West front: C20 glazed door to right
with Gothick traceried fanlight, and C20 doorcase with reeded pilasters
and open triangular pediment; 2 storey canted bay to left with string
course and parapet. Courtyard to rear with battlemented wall. This was
formerly the North Lodge to Tong Castle (qv) and if the now largely
demolished Gothic part was late C18 it was probably by 'Capability' Brown.
Included for group value (qv. North gates and gatepiers 30 metres to South-
West).
N. Pevsner. B.O.E. Shropshire, p.304;
G. Griffith, History of Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 154-61.
D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe,
Waine Research Publications, 1980. Ch.3.


Listing NGR: SJ7968707384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.