History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Headmaster's House, Oswestry School

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.856 / 52°51'21"N

Longitude: -3.0633 / 3°3'48"W

OS Eastings: 328497

OS Northings: 329249

OS Grid: SJ284292

Mapcode National: GBR 73.S0CN

Mapcode Global: WH78R.XGFW

Entry Name: Headmaster's House, Oswestry School

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255578

Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry

Built-Up Area: Croesowallt

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

SJ 2829 SE OSWESTRY C.P. UPPER BROOK STREET
and SJ 2829-2929 (north side)

15/104 and Headmaster's House,
12/104 Oswestry School
(formerly listed as
10.9.51
Grammar School
Headmaster's House)
- II

House. Circa 1776 with later additions and alterations. Red brick,
double-span slate roof with stone coping and flat top to right gable
end, external end stack to left (rear gable) with another stack immediately
in front of ridge to left of centre and axial valley stack to right.
2 storeys and gable-lit attic over basement,moulded stone eaves cornice
and kneelers to corners; 4-window front, glazing bar sashes with gauged
heads; central entrance, Roman Doric porch with 2 pairs of coupled
columns and moulded entablature, late C19 half-glazed double doors.
5 windows to rear with central 3 forming pedimented break. Long late
C18/early C19 2-storey range set back to left but late C19 and C20
additions to rear and left are not of special architectural interest.
Oswestry Grammar School moved from its original location (q.v. under
Nos. 1 to 3, Church Terrace) to its present site in 1776 and the
headmaster's house was among the first buildings to be completed.
B.O.E. p.223.


Listing NGR: SJ2849929255

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.