History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black Gate Restaurant

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8589 / 52°51'31"N

Longitude: -3.0532 / 3°3'11"W

OS Eastings: 329185

OS Northings: 329560

OS Grid: SJ291295

Mapcode National: GBR 73.RWC8

Mapcode Global: WH89X.2DCP

Entry Name: Black Gate Restaurant

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255574

Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry

Built-Up Area: Croesowallt

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

SJ 2929 NW OSWESTRY C.P. SALOP ROAD (west side)

14/100 Black Gate Restaurant
10.9.51 (formerly listed as Black
Gate Tea Rooms)

GV II

House, now restaurant. Circa 1600 with later additions and alterations,
restored late C20. Timber framed with plaster infill, slate roof.
Lobby-entry plan with gabled porch added c. 1620 (formerly with painted
date 1621); single-storey timber framed lean-to addition to rear on
left incorporated in right of 3 later brick gables to rear. 2 storeys;
framing: irregular square panels with later light vertical posts
inserted, long straight tension braces, left gable end clad in late
C19 red brick; porch has close-set vertical posts with middle rail,
moulded bressumers to left and right and formerly to front, C19 fretted
bargeboards and C20 finial to gable; fenestration all late C20, three-
light casements to left and right of porch on both floors with Venetian
window, replacing one of early C19, to first floor of porch; position
of original windows also visible, infilled 2-light mullion window to
either side of right ground-floor casement blocked 2-light mullion
windows to left and right sides of porch on first floor and 3-light
window to ground floor with roundel inserted in blocking; reddish
brown brick axial ridge stack to centre; entrance through porch, round-
headed outer arch with wooden benches to sides, 6-panel inner door.
Interior: timber frame exposed throughout, square panels, some with
wattle and daub infill displayed, and long straight tension braces;
original back wall with mortice holes for close-set vertical posts,
now removed; chamfered spine beam with ogee stops and heavy joists to
left ground-floor room; infilled inglenook fireplace with cast-iron
cooking range, early C19 staircase with turned balusters; slightly
cambered tie beams exposed to gable ends but rest of roof trusses
concealed at time of re-survey (August 1985). C20 gabled and flat-
roofed additions to rear are not of special architectural interest.


Listing NGR: SJ2918229563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.