History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Milverton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0248 / 51°1'29"N

Longitude: -3.2517 / 3°15'6"W

OS Eastings: 312307

OS Northings: 125795

OS Grid: ST123257

Mapcode National: GBR LV.HL0V

Mapcode Global: FRA 462D.P10

Entry Name: Chapel House

Listing Date: 4 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307898

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270411

Location: Milverton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Milverton

Built-Up Area: Milverton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Milverton

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Milverton

Listing Text

ST1225 MILVERTON CP FORE STREET (North side)

11/200 Chapel House

-

GV II

Congregational chapel and schoolroom, now dwelling. Dated 1821, reseated and embellished 1881, converted to dwelling
1980. Rendered over random rubble, expressed quoins on chapel, gabled slate roof. 3 bay chapel facing South with
attached 2 bay school room set back on West front. 2 storeys, 2:3 bays; chapel - round headed windows with Y tracery in
rusticated surrounds, late C19; central 6 panel double doors with tripartite fanlight above and C18 segmental porch on
slender columns. String course below gable forms pediment containing stone plaque inscribed "Congregational chapel
1821". School house to left has 12 pane cruciform casements on first floor with C20 french windows to left. Interior:
the late C19 pine gallery carried on wooden columns remains, and two pews. The congregational chapel was founded in
Milverton in 1770. (Kelly, Directory, 1914).


Listing NGR: ST1230825796

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.