History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fordhay House, with Well 3 Metres to South

A Grade II Listed Building in East Chinnock, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9142 / 50°54'51"N

Longitude: -2.7193 / 2°43'9"W

OS Eastings: 349530

OS Northings: 112994

OS Grid: ST495129

Mapcode National: GBR MK.QNX5

Mapcode Global: FRA 566P.DFG

Entry Name: Fordhay House, with Well 3 Metres to South

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 30 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263624

Location: East Chinnock, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: East Chinnock

Built-Up Area: East Chinnock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
East Chinnock

Listing Text

ST41SE EAST CHINNOCK CP FORDHAY (East side)

3/66 Fordhay House, with well 3 metres
to South
(Fordhay House formerly listed)
19.4.61

GV II

House. Dated 1690. Local stone rubble coursed, Has stone dressings; Welsh slate between coped gables; brick end
chimney stacks to main block, and intermediate stack to extension. 2-storeys, 3-bays-with later extensions Eastwards.
Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with timber casement infills under labels, 3-light to bays 1 and 3 and 2-light to bay
2, ground floor; above casement windows under exposed timber lintels: old boarded entrance door in plain opening
between bays-2 and 3, protected by double hipped lead roofed porch of C19, resting on 4 cast-iron columns. Extension
of 3-bays, 2-bays using larger stones, divided by coped gable to East gable; C19 casement windows segmental arched
heads below and heavy stone lintels above. On East kneeler gable stone, main block is incised the initial K or R and
date 1690. On West, roadside, wall a mounting block and steps. Formerly an inn, according to local tradition, 3
metres South of first extension a well, about 11 metres down to water; old random stone walls below ground, C20 wall
above ground.


Listing NGR: ST4953012994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.