This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.891 / 50°53'27"N
Longitude: -2.6819 / 2°40'54"W
OS Eastings: 352134
OS Northings: 110394
OS Grid: ST521103
Mapcode National: GBR MM.S0CY
Mapcode Global: FRA 568R.90C
Entry Name: Church of Saint Roch
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Last Amended: 30 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263600
Location: Closworth, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Closworth
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST51SW CLOSWORTH CP
4/42 Church of Saint Roch
(formerly listed as Church)
Church. C14 with C15 modifications. Local stone rubble roughly coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles between
coped gables with ornamental ridge tiles, cross finial to East gable. Single cell with West tower and small projecting
chapel on North side. Plinth, except to part of North side, eaves course; East window pointed late C15 traceried in
deep recess, flanked by angled corner buttresses with offsets; South side of 3-bays, bays 1 and 2 have 2-light C14
windows without labels, with a trefoil arched blocked opening between, bay 3 has recessed late C15 traceried window;
North side has two 2-light C14 windows without labels with wide half-height buttress between; North chapel simple in
character with C15 window of 3-lights. The West tower simple in two stages; plain pointed arched doorway to tower and
church on South side, lancet with hoods to North and West sides first stage, and similar windows above on North, West
and South sides; simple parapet with corner gargoyles. Internally a boarded and ribbed barrel vault ceiling, with two
old crossbeams; trefoil arched piscina and stoup in South wall; very fine monument in cinquefoil recess in North wall,
very like North Chapel of 1328 in St Mary, Limington, (qv) with elaborate carved overmantle with supporting figures in
corners, the recumbent effigy of a cross-legged knight in unusually good condition, thought to be of Sir John de Domer.
(Wickham, Churches of Somerset, 1952).
Listing NGR: ST5213410394
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings