History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brickhouse Farm House Along Drive 140 Metres from Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Hunsdon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7868 / 51°47'12"N

Longitude: 0.0588 / 0°3'31"E

OS Eastings: 542103

OS Northings: 211799

OS Grid: TL421117

Mapcode National: GBR LD7.X9X

Mapcode Global: VHHM5.YCZ2

Entry Name: Brickhouse Farm House Along Drive 140 Metres from Road

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308016

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159956

Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hunsdon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hunsdon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Roydon

Listing Text

TL 41 SW HUNSDON EASTWICK ROAD
(east side)

2/14 Brickhouse Farm house
along drive 140 metres
- from road

GV II


House. Early C17 brick house lying N-S with steep old red tile
gabled roofs. S cross wing rebuilt in brick in early C18 and
C18/early Cl9. W service extension now part of house. T-plan
house with a high basement, 2 storeys and attics. Entrance now
up 6 steps on S into outer side wall of cross wing. Entrance
into N bay of hall range blocked in 1957 when modern stair and
new access were built in the angles with the cross wing. Large
C17 central chimney at junction of wings with 3 conjoined diamond
flues set on rectangular base E-W. Large open fireplace on
Ground floor serves hall range only. External gable chimneys to
cross wing (E chimney rebuilt: W chimey enclosed by C19
extension and removed below attic level). S front on both floors
has 3 flush box sash windows with 8/8 panes and gauged brick flat
arches. Dripboards on brackets over lower windows. Modern front
door up 6 steps with moulded doorcase and flat hood. Concrete
lintels to 2 basement windows. N gable of hall range has had a
wide horizontal window to Ground floor and lst floor showing it
was originally of 2 storeys. Similar 3-light mullioned window to
basement remains with chamfered wooden frame. Attic window in
each gable, Small C19 sash window. 2-bay cross wing has re-used
chamfered C17 beams, and early C18 HL hinges and leaded borrowed
lights on 1st floor. C17 roof structure remains over hall range.
This unusually early brick house may have originated as a lodge
to Lord Carey's hunting park at Hunsdon or as the keeper's house
for that part called Jaggers Park (HLHS (1979) 11). On the Tithe
-ward of 1842, it is named 'Brick or Roan Farm'. A C17 early
brick house of special architectural interest with early C18
cross wing. On a prominent hillside site forming a group with
its farm buildings.


Listing NGR: TL4210311799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.