This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8337 / 52°50'1"N
Longitude: -2.4551 / 2°27'18"W
OS Eastings: 369437
OS Northings: 326344
OS Grid: SJ694263
Mapcode National: GBR 7W.TJ55
Mapcode Global: WH9CJ.815D
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260184
Location: Hinstock, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Hinstock
Built-Up Area: Hinstock
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hinstock St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
HINSTOCK C.P. CHURCH STREET
SJ 62 NE (north side)
7/33 Church of Saint
Parish church. 1719-20, tower c.1800 and south aisle and west porch of
c.1850. Red sandstone ashlar and plain tile roofs, separately over nave
and aisle. Nave and chancel in one with west tower, and south aisle with
west porch. Gothic tower. Tower: 3 stages. Chamfered plinth, chamfered
off-set to belfry, coped parapet with coved string, and weathervane.
Louvred chamfered lancet belfry openings. West front with first and
second-stage chamfered lancets. Lozenge-shaped clock below belfry opening.
Nave and chancel: coped parapeted gable ends, with cross at apex to east.
3 bays; round-arched windows with half-H aprons and plain architraves with
impost blocks. East end: large round-arched window of 2 round arched
lights with 'Venetian' tracery (c.1850), half-H apron and plain architraves
with impost blocks and raised keystone. South aisle: chamfered plinth and
eaves, parapeted gable ends with chamfered coping and moulded kneelers.
External stone end stack to west with octagonal shaft. 3 bays; round-
arched windows with half-H aprons, plain architraves, impost blocks and
raised keystones. Round-arched doorway to south-east with raised keystone
and boarded door with strap hinges. West end: round-arched window with
keystone. Round-arched west doorway with chamfered reveals, raised keystone
and pair of 2-panelled doors. Portch with chamfered plinth and eaves and
coped parapeted gable with moulded kneelers. Boarded door with strap
hinges, chamfered reveals and keyed lintel. Chamfered trefoil side window
to south. East end: large round-arched window with half-H apron and plain
architrave with impost blocks and raised keystone. Interior: central
c.1850 four-bay arcade consisting of octagonal piers with moulded capitals
and chamfered round arches. Chamfered tower arch. C18 six-bay nave roof
consisting of king post trusses with cambered tie beams and pairs of purlins.
Circa 1850 four-bay aisle roof consisting of chamfered arch-braced collar trusses
springing from stone corbels with king posts, and single purlins. Fittings:
C19 wooden reredos in base of window; C19 altar rails on 2 sides with
twisted balustersand moulded rail; C18 polygonal wooden pulpit, 2 panels high
with moulded ribs and cornice; C19 wooden lectern incorporating reused carved
C17 Panel; C19 choir stalls; c.180O box pews without doors; c.1800 former
family pew with door at right angles to alter in south aisle; octagonal
stone font with moulded base and stem, bowl dated 1853, and iron-bound
wooden cover. Large organ. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary. C19 stained
glass in east window. B.O.E., p.150; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, p.690.
Listing NGR: SJ6943726344
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings