This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9126 / 51°54'45"N
Longitude: -0.1319 / 0°7'54"W
OS Eastings: 528593
OS Northings: 225430
OS Grid: TL285254
Mapcode National: GBR J7Z.3GK
Mapcode Global: VHGP1.N6N5
Entry Name: Walkern Mill, and Number 161 (Millers Cottage)
Listing Date: 8 August 1979
Last Amended: 31 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159686
Location: Walkern, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Walkern
Built-Up Area: Walkern
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Walkern
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2825 WALKERN HIGH STREET
8/2 Walkern Mill, and
No 161 (Millers Cottage)
(formerly listed as
8.8.79 The Mill and Mill House)
Water mill on River Beane, and house adjoining, now residential.
Mill rebuilt 1826, altered 1836 and 1856, converted to steam
1881, ceased working 1933, converted 1980-81. House early Cl7,
cased in brick in mid C19, extended into ground floor of mill and
porch added 1980-81. Red brick mill with gambrel roof. Welch
slate upper slope, green Westmorland slate lower slope decorated
with large and small lozenge motifs. A tall L-shaped block of 3
storeys and attics, with main range E-W and wing projecting to S.
Broad pilasters at each bay narrowed above 2nd floor. Cast iron
tie-plates. S gable has decorative cast iron windows under
pointed arches, 2 to each floor and one to the attic. Segmental
arches to wider windows elsewhere. Gabled lucam on N and S of
main range, with glazed doors. Lettering painted on S gable 'G D
PEARMAN/(WALKERN - defaced to confuse invaders 1939-45)/FLOUR
MILLS/1881'(with '1828', 1836, and '1856' in smaller figures).
Mill structure of timber beams and floors on cast iron columns
largely replaced by reinforced concrete, but some columns re-
used. Tall queen-post timber trusses remain in attic floor.
Timber framed house adjoining mill on W, with red brick casing,
buff segmental window arches, and steep old red tile roof. C20
extensions to NW not of special interest. 2-storeys, 3-bay
structure, facing S, with W bay partitioned from 2-bay hall now
abutting the mill on E. Symmetrical 3 windows front with
parapeted gabled brick porch to central door. Recessed wooden
casement windows. A central chimney at the W end of the hall
serves the W end room, and a stair rises behind it. Later small
chimney to E end of hall. Exposed timbers inside, with jowled
posts, close studding with numbered joints, butt-purlin roof with
tennoned rafters and wind braces. Rear slope raised with props
from old structure. Face-halved bladed scarf in front wallplate.
(Kelly (1914) 254: Branch Johnson (1970) 178: Pevsner (1977)
Listing NGR: TL2859325430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings