History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 1-12, Walcot Hall Flats, Numbers 1-3, Clock Tower House, Adjoining Stable Block to North-West and Courtyard Wall Adjoining to South-East

A Grade II Listed Building in Lydbury North, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.4592 / 52°27'33"N

Longitude: -2.9616 / 2°57'41"W

OS Eastings: 334760

OS Northings: 285020

OS Grid: SO347850

Mapcode National: GBR B7.L5KF

Mapcode Global: VH764.MG63

Entry Name: Numbers 1-12, Walcot Hall Flats, Numbers 1-3, Clock Tower House, Adjoining Stable Block to North-West and Courtyard Wall Adjoining to South-East

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 2 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257048

Location: Lydbury North, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Lydbury North

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Lydbury North

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Lydbury North

Listing Text

SO 38 SW

5/134 Nos. 1-12, Walcot Hall
9/134 Flats, Nos. 1-3, Clock
- Tower House, adjoining
stable block to north-west
1/12/51 and courtyard wall adjoining
to south-east (formerly
listed as Stables at Walcot)


Stables and adjoining walls, now partly converted to flats. After 1763,
probably by Sir William Chambers, with some early C19 alterations. Red
brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs. 2 ranges, to north-
east and south-west, returning to enclose courtyard to north-west and
enclosing wall to south-east. North-east range; north-east front: 3:3:3
bay rhythm with large central 2 storey tower and lower set-back wings.
Centre-pivotted casements with gauged heads and stone cills. Tower with
plinth, parapet heightened probably in the early C19 with moulded stone
cornice and blocking course, external end stacks, and lead-sheathed base
to central cupola (removed at time of resurvey, July 1984). Two first
floor windows flanking slightly higher central blind window with clock
above; ground floor blind windows implying Serliana by flanking large
central carriageway with gauged brick round-arch and moulded stone
impost blocks, continued as cornice through archway. Wings: with
plinths, stone eaves bands, and end stack to left; 3 first floor
windows to right and one to left; ground floor blind arcading with
continuous impost bands and gauged brick round-arches; 2 inserted 3-
panelled doors in second bay from right. South-west front: 3:3:3
bay rhythm; central tower with carriage arch, stone eaves band, and
glazing bar sashes; wings with first floor centre-pivotted casements,
and ground floor top-opening small-paned casements. Probably early C19
one storey block curving round to left with 3 windows and central
octagonal cupola with ogee lead cap. South-west range: L-plan.
North-east front: 2 storeys. 6:4:6 bay rhythm. Ashlar plinth,
stone eaves band, 2 ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and stack
behind ridge to right; triangular pedimented gable over 4 projecting
centre bays with stone band at eaves level, moulded stone verge, and
clock in tympamum; central circular wooden cupola with square base,
4 Doric columns supporting entablature, and lead dome with globe finial
and weathervane; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and stone cills;
4 central double boarded doors with segmental gauged-brick heads and
stone impost bands, and double 3-panelled doors in fourth bays from left
and right. Right-hand return front with 2 ridge stacks; 4 bays with
double 3-panelled doors to left. Short brick wall attached to right
with stone coping. Wall enclosing south-east side of courtyard of
red brick with stone coping, approximately 25 metres long. Interior
of curved stable block to north retains stalls for horses. The wooden
cupola over the north-east block is circular with 6 columns supporting
frieze and cornice, and lead dome with globe finial and weathervane;
it was removed for safety reasons and remains on the ground in the
vicinity of the stable courtyard. Country Life,
Vol. LXXXVII, October 14th 1939, pp.388-92, and Vol. CL, November 1971,
pp.1366-8; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.307.

Listing NGR: SO3476085020

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.