History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Conduit Head at Priory Farm 450 Metres to North East of the Priory at Ngr Tl 2222 2827

A Grade II Listed Building in Wymondley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9395 / 51°56'22"N

Longitude: -0.2235 / 0°13'24"W

OS Eastings: 522220

OS Northings: 228270

OS Grid: TL222282

Mapcode National: GBR J7G.BBT

Mapcode Global: VHGNT.2JQ0

Entry Name: Conduit Head at Priory Farm 450 Metres to North East of the Priory at Ngr Tl 2222 2827

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162767

Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wymondley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Wymondley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

WYMONDLEY PRIORY LANE
TL 22 NW (East side)
Little Wymondley

4/155 Conduit Head at Priory Farm
II 450M to NE of The Priory
at NGR.TL 2222 2827

Conduit head. Medieval origin as water supply for Wymondley Priory,
reconstructed C16 or early C17 by Nedham family after the Dissolution,
rebuilt incorporating old work c.1902 by East Herts Archaeological
Society. Flint rubble with uncoursed flint and pebble facing. C16 thin
red brick in English-bond with wide joints up to springing of entrance
arch on E end, moulded stone doorway, upper parts of walls in C19 plum
red brick in English-bond. Unroofed. Tile floor recorded by VCH (1912,
189). A small rectangular building in a grove of ash trees. Plan in VCH
shows a shallow basin inside with rounded end to E. Facing E there is a
central clunch doorway, 3-centred arch in 2 orders, imposts, and stone
jambs. Corbelled brick course projects over to protect head. Interior
has low side walls and remains of W gable. Entrance has segmental rear
arch and splayed jambs, and a round headed niche to each side. Remains
of central W window with flanking niches, and triple recesses to each
side-wall. The flow of water is said to have been formerly used to turn
a spit in the farmhouse kitchen. The stone doorway is original but VCH
suggests that the form of the rebuilding of c.1902 was based on another
building elsewhere. Scheduled Ancient Monument, Herts No. 61c, described
as 'well'. (RCHM (1911)149: VCH (1912)189).


Listing NGR: TL2222028270

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.