History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ford House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ford, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7194 / 52°43'9"N

Longitude: -2.8709 / 2°52'15"W

OS Eastings: 341272

OS Northings: 313886

OS Grid: SJ412138

Mapcode National: GBR BC.1PXC

Mapcode Global: WH8BK.WX32

Entry Name: Ford House

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308164

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258964

Location: Ford, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ford

Built-Up Area: Ford

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ford

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Cardeston

Listing Text

SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. FORD

13/59 Ford House
29.1.52

GV II*

House. Circa 1730. Finely-jointed red brick with grey sandstone dressings;
2-span slate roof. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic over basement.
Painted moulded stone plinth, painted chamfered quoins, painted wooden
modillion eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends with chamfered stone
coping, straight across valley. 3 dormers with 2-light horizontal-sliding
sashes and triangular-pedimented gables; pairs of external brick end stacks
with moulded stone offsets and dentil brick caps. 5 bays; glazing bar
sashes with exposed boxes, moulded stone cills, and gauged brick heads
with projecting triple keystones; central pair of half-glazed doors
(raised and fielded bottom panels and margin lights above) with panelled
reveals and soffit, moulded architrave, and porch with Tuscan columns
and half-columns, entablature with moulded cornice, and lead-covered top.
Rear (garden front): plinth, quoins, cornice, parapeted gable ends with
urns at feet, 3 pedimented dormers; 5 bays; basement windows with chamfered
reveals; ground-floor sashes cut down,probably in late C18; central pair
of half-glazed doors (raised and fielded lower panels and margin lights),
stone doorcase consisting of architrave with chamfered rustication and
dropped keystone, and Tuscan pilasters supporting entablature with segmental
pediment; 5 red sandstone steps with sides curving out to curtails;
3-bay gable end to south-west; tall stepped plinth. One-storey early C19
former kitchen block adjoining to north-east; hipped roof; L-plan; tall
plinth to rear-and dentil brick eaves cornice; 3-light segmental-headed
wooden casement to front with segmental-headed 2-panelled door to right;
left-hand return front has 2-light segmental-headed wooden casement with
dated stone shield above:"RLB / 1839"; short link to house has door
with 6 flush panels. Interior: fairly complete early C18 fittings; ground
floor has C18 doors with 6 raised and fielded panels, lugged architraves,
and panelled reveals; staircase hall on east side of house: moulded
cornice and fluted ceiling beams; archway to western part of house has
doorcase with fluted pilasters, radial fanlight, and round arch with moulded
architrave and keystone; 2-flight dog-leg staircase with half-landing,
open string with cut brackets, 3 balusters per tread (one twisted,
one turned and one fluted), turned and fluted newel posts, and moulded
ramped handrail, wreathed to columnar newel post at foot; landing balustrade
on 2 sides; ground-floor south-east room: early C19 remodelling with dado
rail, plaster cornice and soffit; ground-floor north-east room has tall
C18 raised and fielded panelling with dado rail, and moulded dentil
cornice; plain architraves; C19 fireplace; first-floor archway has doorcase
with fluted piers and moulded round arch with keystone; bedrooms: one with
raised and fielded panelling, dado rail and moulded cornice; fireplace with
lugged architrave, frieze with keystone and cornice; one with C17 and C19
panelling, 2 doors with 3 raised and fielded panels and L-hinges, lugged
architraves with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Ford House was the
home of the Ambler family until 1793. Ford House is a well-preserved example
of a small early C18 house and is the centre of a group including a terrace(qv)
to the east and stables (qv) and barn (qv) to the north. V.C.H., Vol. VIII,
pp.225-6; B.O.E., p.131; H. E. Forrest, FLS, Some old Shropshire Muses and
their owners(1924), pp.54-8.


Listing NGR: SJ4127213886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.