History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Stringston, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1971 / 51°11'49"N

Longitude: -3.1935 / 3°11'36"W

OS Eastings: 316702

OS Northings: 144888

OS Grid: ST167448

Mapcode National: GBR LX.4W6W

Mapcode Global: VH6GR.L5LM

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Last Amended: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265254

Location: Stringston, West Somerset, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Stringston

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
East Quantoxhead

Listing Text

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP LILSTOCK

6/204 Church of St. Andrew
(previously listed as Remains of
St Andrew's Church (now used as a
Mortuary Chapel)

22.5.69

II

Church, now redundant. C14 chancel arch alone remains of earlier Church demolished 1881 when present structure
erected. Blue lias and pebble random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, decorative bargeboards gable Ends,
Single cell on site of chancel of earlier Church, porch West end, bell-cote set on gable end above. Porch: lean-to
hipped roof, quoins, shouldered entrance, arched doorway with hoodnould, double doors, decorative hinges Tiled
bell-cote, steeply pitched pyramid roof, pierced wooden opening, slate-hung base, no bell, Arched 2-light window at
East end, completely obscured externally by ivy. Wrought iron crosses East gable end and on bell-cote, Interior: C14
chancel arch on innerface of entrance wall, otherwise the only features of interest are 2 memorial slabs set in the
North wall to Joanne Popham, died 1714, lime- washed blue lias, and to John Buller, died 1765, slate; both
distinguished by good lettering and a robustly naive use of classical motifs. The Victorian floor tiles have mostly
been removed, many slates are missing and the East end is overgrown with ivy at time of survey, (August 1983). The
Church was declared redundant 1980, and the Norman front removed to Stogursey Church in 1981. (Kellys Directory, 1902;
VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming; photographs in NMR).


Listing NGR: ST1670244888

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.