History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church and Adjoining Hall to North

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Hull, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0153 / 51°0'55"N

Longitude: -3.1373 / 3°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 320319

OS Northings: 124611

OS Grid: ST203246

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.JC0R

Mapcode Global: FRA 469F.KL6

Entry Name: United Reformed Church and Adjoining Hall to North

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308184

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270523

Location: Bishop's Hull, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Bishop's Hull

Built-Up Area: Taunton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Taunton

Listing Text

ST2024 BISHOP'S HULL CP BISHOP'S HULL ROAD (West side)


13/14 United Reformed Church and
adjoining Hall to North
(formerly listed as
Congregational Chapel)
25.2.55

GV II

Congregational chapel and schoolroom, now United Reform Church and hall. Late Cl8, reroofed 1874, gallery added 1883 and hall enlarged. Gable end onto road, flanked by single storey porches North and South, adjoining schoolroom set
back at South West corner. Rendered over rubble, slate roof, gable end onto road,coped verges, string course forming pediment cut by apex of East window, quoins, rusticated base with upper course swept up to base of East window, 4-light
ogee headed with trefoil cusping and rusticated surround, 2 bay returns, entrance through flat- roofed, single storey porches with panelled double doors and sidelights; South porch possibly earlier with ogee headed side- light while
North has pointed arch. 2 storey, 5 bay hall adjoining with C20 fenestration. Interior: late C19 fittings, cast iron columns carry East end gallery with wrought iron hand rail and wooden panels. Collection of late C18 and early C19
wooden tablets painted black and white to resemble marble and slate, the material of which the mid - late C19 tablets are composed. The body of the church may date from as early as 1718. (SANHS Proceedings, Vol 58, 1912; Photograph in
NMR),


Listing NGR: ST2031924611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.