History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Litchfield and Woodcott, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2836 / 51°17'0"N

Longitude: -1.3395 / 1°20'22"W

OS Eastings: 446160

OS Northings: 154030

OS Grid: SU461540

Mapcode National: GBR 839.J4T

Mapcode Global: VHCZX.QZQX

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 16 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138381

Location: Litchfield and Woodcott, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG28

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Litchfield and Woodcott

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch with Tufton with Litchfield

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Litchfield

Listing Text

SU 45 SE LITCHFIELD & WOODCOTT LITCHFIELD
5/2

16.5.66 Church of St James

II*

Norman, Transitional, C17, and restored 1874. Single-cell nave and chancel, with a
north aisle, south porch and bell turret of the restoration date. The arcade has
3 pointed arches on rectangular piers, with chamfers and plinth; the arches of the
(former) south aisle are visible in the infill walling (showing a round column with a
scalloped cap). The chancel has a high (Norman) and low window on each side, the nave
and aisle windows being modern lancets (grouped in the north aisle). The nave is
separated from the chancel by a wooden screen (dated 1655) with slender arcading
between the main frames, designed to be fixed to medieval stone bracket on each side.
old and badly worn font. Externally, there is a plain tile roof, a western turret
with a small broad spire. The walling is flint with stone dressings. A plaque on the
porch gable is dated 1875.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.