This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.703 / 51°42'10"N
Longitude: -0.2891 / 0°17'20"W
OS Eastings: 518325
OS Northings: 201859
OS Grid: TL183018
Mapcode National: GBR H8Y.5QZ
Mapcode Global: VHGPX.YG0B
Entry Name: St Botolphs
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308251
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164345
Location: Shenley, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD7
Civil Parish: Shenley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shenley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 10 SE SHENLEY SHENLEYBURY
3/290 St. Botolphs
25.2.52 (formerly listed as
Church of St. Botolph)
Former Parish Church now house. Circa 1424 following a bequest by Maud,
Countess of Salisbury. Chancel demolished, the rest re-roofed and altered
1753. SW tower demolished 1925. Squared knapped flintwork of a high
standard with brick and stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Rectangular on plan
with 2 span roof. Original nave and S aisle remain; tower, chancel and
nave arcade demolished. 4 bays. N and S windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights,
double chamfered, with simple rectilinear tracery under 2 centred arched
heads. Diamond leaded panes. Hood moulds. Cement rendered surrounds. 2
stage buttresses, between bays and at angles, with raking tiled tops,
and brick quoins. Buttresses stop below brick dentilled eaves cornice.
Original tower S door in W bay. Plank door with strap hinges. Double
hollow chamfered surround with pointed arched head. Smaller door in 2nd
bay from E end. Moulded C19 surround with pointed head. Above this door
a square stone sun-dial set at an angle dated 1741 and inscribed 'TEMPUS
FUGIT'. Entrance in W bay on N wall. Pointed arched head, moulded C19
surround. Large C19 stack to centre on N side ramped up from a broad
base at eaves to a narrow shaft, oversailing courses to a gabled cap.
Brick parapets to gable ends. W end wall: C19 4 light window with 4
centred head and simple Perpendicular tracery. Brick and flint diamond
patterned flushwork in gable with rendered date 1753. Brick kneelers and
corbelling to parapet. Braced timber support for bell, now missing. E
end wall: similar, C19 4 light window with traces of earlier chancel
arch opening. Flushwork, braced timber support. Some stone blocks in
gable and as quoins in buttresses. Interior: 1970's living accommodation
inserted. C18 double queen post roof. Marble and alabaster monument to
Sir Jeremiah Snow, d.1704, on N wall near W end. Base with inscription and
projecting arms below gadrooning. Niche above with urn, keyed head and
skull finial. C17 floor slabs and indents for brasses. C19 plaster font.
Traces of mid C19 and early C20 stained glass in top lights of most
windows, largely removed to Church of St. Martin (q.v.) following
declaration of redundancy in 1972. (RCHM 1910:VCH 1923:Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL1832501859
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings