History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Tree Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6165 / 52°36'59"N

Longitude: -3.0514 / 3°3'4"W

OS Eastings: 328913

OS Northings: 302603

OS Grid: SJ289026

Mapcode National: GBR B4.87FF

Mapcode Global: WH8C2.3H7G

Entry Name: Yew Tree Cottage

Listing Date: 21 March 1968

Last Amended: 14 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257384

Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY21

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Chirbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Meadowtown

Listing Text

CHIRBURY C.P. MARTON
SJ 20 SE

4/59 Yew Tree Cottage
- (Formerly listed as Yew Tree
21.3.86 Cottage, Marton Village)
GV II


Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1634 with later additions and alterations.
Timber framed with painted brick infill and additions, graded slate
roof. Baffle-entry plan of 3 framed bays with right bay demolished
but rebuilt in late C20 and painted black and white in imitation of
timber frame. One storey and attic. Framing: vertical posts with later
horizontal timbersbelow girding beam and one rectangular panel above
also with later horizontal timbers. Late C20 fenestration, 2 casements
to-ground floor of C17 part, right in position of former entrance, 2
flat-roofed eaves dormers, one in C17 part and one in C20 part; prominent
red brick ridge stack with 3 attached and rebated shafts of star section
and moulded capping immediately to right of centre. Date "1634" inscribed
on girding beam to right of original entrance. Interior: main ground-
floor room (to left of stack) has 2 massive chamfered spine beams with
heavy joists and rebuilt inglenook fireplace. Double-purlin roof with
part of collar and tie beam truss exposed to first bay from left.


Listing NGR: SJ2891302603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.