History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Hugh's Preparatory School at St Edmund's College (Rc) (To South of Allen Hall)

A Grade II Listed Building in Standon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8792 / 51°52'45"N

Longitude: -0.0086 / 0°0'30"W

OS Eastings: 537172

OS Northings: 221944

OS Grid: TL371219

Mapcode National: GBR K9V.4NK

Mapcode Global: VHGP9.S1T7

Entry Name: St Hugh's Preparatory School at St Edmund's College (Rc) (To South of Allen Hall)

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 23 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308294

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161030

Location: Standon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Standon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Standon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

Old Hall Green
TL 32 SE STANDON CAMBRIDGE ROAD
(west side)

St Hugh 's Preparatory School at
1/16 St Edmund's College (RC) (to S of
Allen Hall) (formerly listed as
St Hugh's School under St Edmund's EC
24.1.67
College, Old Hall Green)
GV
II

House, now a prep school. 1851 by Augustus Welby Pugin for Ward headmaster
of St Edmund's College. Subsequently extended to rear (W) and
Schoolroom added in similar style in C19. Chapel of 1938 and
classroom wing beyond of 1961 not of special interest. 2 storeys
grey brick irregular H-plan house with red brick used on less
important parts on N and W sides. Steep red tile roofs. Large
single-storey red brick hipped tile roof schoolroom attached at
W, now pebbledashed in part. Gothic style throughout. E front
has symmetrical 3-windows part on right and entrance in the angle
with a deeply recessed part on the left. Right hand part has 2-
storeys canted stone mullioned bay windows flanking a single
storey central canted porch. 2 similar canted bay windows on
left and 4-centred stone entrance doorway with carved spandrels,
moulded label, 2 carved plaques above (one with a crest of a lamb
holding a papal key, the other with the Ward monogram). An oriel
window projects over the door.


Listing NGR: TL3717221944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.