This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7814 / 51°46'53"N
Longitude: -0.3035 / 0°18'12"W
OS Eastings: 517124
OS Northings: 210554
OS Grid: TL171105
Mapcode National: GBR H7Z.82M
Mapcode Global: VHGPJ.PHD7
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 19 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308298
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163895
Location: Sandridge, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL4
District: St. Albans
Civil Parish: Sandridge
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandridge
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 11 SE SANDRIDGE CHURCH END
6/351 Church of St Leonard.
Parish church. Late C11 and late C12 origin. Chancel, late C14.
Restored 1886-7, when W tower and W end were rebuilt. Knapped
flint; some flint rubble and Roman brick. Stone dressings.
Machine tile roof. Nave with aisle; aisless chancel. N and S
gabled porches. W tower has a tall lower stage and small belfry
stage. Broached spire. W elevation with 2-light traceried
window to lower stage of tower and louvred lancet to belfry.
Trefoiled lancets to aisles each side. The nave has 3 small
round-headed clerestorey windows. S aisle has 2 2-light C15-
style windows. The chancel has 2 cinquefoiled windows with
chamfered frames and hood moulds. 3-light similar E window. The
nave gable-end shows c.1887 Tudor style half timber with narrow
trefoiled lancets. Interior 3-bay nave, the lower half original
late C12 transitional Norman style. Large octagonal piers on
stepped and chamfered bases. Scalloped capitals. Roll-moulded
arches. W tower arch has mid C12 colonnettes with stiff-leaf
capitals. C19 crown post nave roof. Chancel has original
trussed rafter wagon roof. Single tie beam. Heavy wooden
corbels. Carved stone corbels. Remarkable feature of interior
is the chancel arch. Mostly late C14, it retains the late C11
Roman brick arch. Upper part of opening was originally filled
in, but now has a traceried timber screen. Lower part has
central pointed-arch door in flat-headed surround. Above is a 2-
light traceried window; similar 3-light windows each side of
door. On chancel side the openings have hollow-moulded frames
ornamented with fleurons, the spandrels leaf-carved. Each side
of door are posts with carved reclining figures, probably of
donors. Font at W end of nave is late C11 or early C12. Stone
drum with shallow carved intersecting arches. Chancel floor
retains C14 tiles, some with glazed circular patterns. 2 good
early C19 monuments, both to Martin family, comprising simple
Greek style chests with obelisks. Hexagonal late C19 carved
pulpit. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL1712410554
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings