History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mannings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stocklinch, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9512 / 50°57'4"N

Longitude: -2.8803 / 2°52'49"W

OS Eastings: 338259

OS Northings: 117236

OS Grid: ST382172

Mapcode National: GBR MB.NB49

Mapcode Global: FRA 46VL.HPN

Entry Name: Mannings

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Last Amended: 29 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308307

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264005

Location: Stocklinch, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Stocklinch

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Stocklinch

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Barrington

Listing Text

STOCKLINCH CP MAIN STREET (East side)
ST3817

6/103 Mannings
(formerly listed as Mannings Farm
House)
4.2.58

GV II*

Detached house. C15 and later. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, but with cob to rear wall and timber framed north
gable; thatched roof with plain gables; brick chimney stacks with traditional baffles. Single storey with attic, 4
bays. Casement windows, mostly 3-light horizontal bar pattern, with plain casement bay 1 and 4-light window to bay 3,
with timber lintols; above, windows to each bay set in swept thatched dormers: between bays 2/3 a boarded door in very
heavy timber frame and timber garage doors to lower bay 4, which may be a C19 extension, and was extensively repaired
in mid C20. North gable has upper portion of post and truss frame set behind the main stone base wall, having collar
and tie truss with sub kingpost and vertical struts, panels rendered. South gable has 4-light casement and a small
leaded single-light casement to attic, possibly a re-use: to rear a lean-to along southern half of wall, which may be
C17. Internally, much early structure remains: the south post and truss frame survives on the inner wall face with
carved braces between post and tie beam; there is one other post and truss frame, and a jointed cruck; fine smoke hood
of generous dimensions inside smoke bay; one framed partition with wattle and daub, and traces of others; chamfered
beams with kneeled stops; brick lined bread oven. This house was almost certainly a demense farm, and was probably
built soon after 1475, when Ilchester Corporation sold Stocklinch Magdalene Manor to the Ilchester Almshouse Trust: it
is thought to be the most complete of seven surviving medieval houses in this village. (Austin aid Hall, Sir R de Z,
The Medieval Houses of Stocklinch, SANHS Proceedings, Vol 116 pp 86-100, 1972).


Listing NGR: ST3825817232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.