History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Three Monuments in Churchyard, About 3 Metres South of South Chapel, Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Merriott, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9123 / 50°54'44"N

Longitude: -2.7939 / 2°47'38"W

OS Eastings: 344282

OS Northings: 112836

OS Grid: ST442128

Mapcode National: GBR MG.QV9C

Mapcode Global: FRA 561P.MC0

Entry Name: Group of Three Monuments in Churchyard, About 3 Metres South of South Chapel, Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308334

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262364

Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA16

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Merriott

Built-Up Area: Merriott

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Merriott

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George

Listing Text

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP CHURCH STREET (North side)

9/114 Group of three monuments in
churchyard, about 3 metres south
of south chapel, Church of All
Saints

GV II

Group of two chest tombs and a headstone. (a) French monument about 2 metres south of south chapel: Chest tomb. Early
C19. Ham stone. Base buried; one panel each face, the ends having incised Greek key ornament and the flanks having
incised panels with reverse curves to corners; linenfold panelled pilasters to all faces; moulding coving of very wide
projection, with shallow hipped top. Commemorates William (Fren)ch, no death date. (b) French monument about 3 metres
south of south chapel: Chest tomb. C18. Ham stone. Base buried: one panel each end and 2 each flank, with fluted Ionic
pilasters to each face; moulded coving to shallow hipped top with rounded leading edges. Commemorates John French, died
____, and his wife ____, died 1723. (c) Unidentified tombstone about 2 metres south of (b): Tombstone. Late C17. Ham
stone, about 400mm wide x 600mm high x 100mm thick, with chamfered back; shouldered semi-circular arched top, with
dentilled frame having imposts and keystone. Commemorates Agnes, the wife of ___ ___, died 1698.


Listing NGR: ST4428212836

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.