History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Holton Le Clay, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.506 / 53°30'21"N

Longitude: -0.0616 / 0°3'41"W

OS Eastings: 528651

OS Northings: 402780

OS Grid: TA286027

Mapcode National: GBR XW0W.GX

Mapcode Global: WHHJ6.04XL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 9 September 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308396

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195331

Location: Holton Le Clay, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN36

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Holton le Clay

Built-Up Area: Holton le Clay

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Holton le Clay St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Waltham

Listing Text

TA 20 SE HOLTON LE CLAY CHURCH WALK

1/24 Church of
St. Peter
9.9.67
G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C16, 1850 rebuilding. Coursed and
squared ironstone and limestone rubble, brown and red brick,
plain grey concrete tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel.
The square unbuttressed tower has extended footings, single
chamfered offset to belfry, embattled parapet and gargoyles. In
the south side is a small rectangular light and the belfry stage
has paired C14 2 light ogee headed cusped openings. In the west
wall is a blocked door with a round head and in the blocking a
C13 lancet. Rectangular light to middle stage. The nave is in
part built of massive square stones and in the north wall is a
blocked C16 4 centred arched doorway and a C14 3 light window
with ogee heads to the lights and chamfered square surround. The
upper part of chancel and east wall of nave were replaced in red
brick c.1850. The C19 east window has 3 lights. On thesouth
side the chamfered reveal only survives of a window in the
chancel. In the nave south wall is a C19 rectangular window with
hood and a C14 window matching that to the north. The south
doorway is single chamfered with moulded hood, recut in C19. The
pitch of an earlier nave roof is visible in the east wall of the
tower. Interior. The C11 tower arch is tall and narrow with
rounded head, plain imposts. In the south reveal is a reused
piece of C10 sculpture having 2 panels of interlace. The chancel
arch is C19, double chamfered with single imposts. In the east
wall of the nave is a reset piscina with reset C13 cusped head.
All fittings are Cl9 and C20 apart from the C12 tub font with
cable moulding round the rim and a panel of chevrons running into
low relief blank intersecting arcading.


Listing NGR: TA2865102780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.