History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ribchester, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8174 / 53°49'2"N

Longitude: -2.5273 / 2°31'38"W

OS Eastings: 365382

OS Northings: 435805

OS Grid: SD653358

Mapcode National: GBR BSS9.NB

Mapcode Global: WH96N.49SW

Entry Name: Almshouses

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Last Amended: 22 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308488

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183036

Location: Ribchester, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Ribchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ribchester St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Ribchester

Listing Text

SD 63 NE RIBCHESTER STYDD


8/150 Nos 1 to 4 (Almshouses)
25.7.52 (formerly listed as Stydd Almshouses
under Stydd Lane)

GV II*

Almshouses, founded under the will of John Shireburne, who died in 1726.
Sandstone ashlar and brick (the sides and rear pebbledashed) with stone
slate roof. 2 storeys, unusual for alms houses. The central portion
projects with a truncated shaped gable, topped by a cornice. On the 1st
floor is an arcade of 3 semi-circular moulded arches with keystones,
2 unfluted Doric columns and 2 similar half columns as responds. The
2 outer openings have stone balustrades. This is approached by a central
flight of 16 stone steps, curving outwards at the bottom and having a
solid parapet with shaped coping. This is flanked on the ground floor
by 2 open door surrounds with cyma mouldings. Behind the arcade on the
1st floor are 3 doors of 2 raised and fielded panels each. On the ground
floor, visible through the outer stone doorways, are 3 similar doors and
2 sashed windows with glazing bars. On each side of this central portion
is one bay of the main building, having sashed windows with glazing bars
in plain stone surrounds of quarter-round section. The end gables have
copings and chimney caps. At the rear are modern windows with plain
reveals.


Listing NGR: SD6538635802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.