This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9837 / 52°59'1"N
Longitude: 0.0656 / 0°3'56"E
OS Eastings: 538765
OS Northings: 344925
OS Grid: TF387449
Mapcode National: GBR KXQ.Z9Y
Mapcode Global: WHHLR.Z8DG
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191927
Location: Butterwick, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE22
Civil Parish: Butterwick
Built-Up Area: Butterwick
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Butterwick St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 34 SE BUTTERWICK CHURCH ROAD
12/13 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, tower 1714, restoration 1770 and
1879. Red brick with ashlar dressings, coursed limestone rubble
and ashlar. Slate and lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried
nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. Brick tower of 2stages, with
quoins, plinth, chamfered offset, plain ashlar parapet with angle
obelisks. To belfry stage are single louvred openings, segmental
brick heads with keystones. To the west the lower part of a
blocked door, now with C19 west window of 3 lights. Squared
rubble north aisle rebuilt C19, the end walls are of brick and
contain single C13 3 light intersecting traceried windows.
Single chamfered C13 door with pointed head and 3 two light
rectangular windows with cusped heads. C15 brick clerestory with
4 two light windows with triangular cusped heads. 2 rainwater
hoppers dated 1770. C15 circular stair turret to north-east
angle of nave with C19 pointed roof. Coursed limestone rubble
C14 chancel with blocked single chamfered priest's door, 2 three
light windows, rectangular surrounds and trefoil heads. 3 light
C19 east window. On the east gable of the nave is a C14 ogee
gable for missing crucifix. On the south side of the chancel 2
three light windows with moulded surrounds and cambered heads.
The south aisle has, at both ends, a single 3 light late C13
window with intersecting tracery. 3 C14 rectangular surrounds
and hoods now contain 2 light C19 reticulated windows.
Clerestory matches that to the north, and to the parapet 2 reused
C14 chimneys, with fleurons. Lead rainwater hopper dated 1715,
initialled PPG. Gabled C19 south porch, continuously moulded
outer door, and inside a C13 pointed and chamfered doorway.
Interior has 4 bay nave arcades having demi shaft west responds,
one with foliage, otherwise octagonal piers and capitals, double
chamfered C13 arches. C19 double tower arch. Reset C14 chancel
arch with hollow chamfered responds and arch, engaged octagonal
capitals. North of the chancel arch a C15 triangular headed
panelled door to turret stair. In the chancel a reset C12
piscina with scalloped base, and a C19 aumbry with brattished
top. Fittings. C15 chancel screen having panel traceried bays
with cusped and crocketed ogee arches, with Alpha and Omega over
the centre. Also a fine C15 panelled pulpit on C19 base.
Moulded cornice and shields to the ribs. Font has C13 clustered
columned base and C19 battered octagonal bowl with contemporary
lid. Source: Thompson. History of Boston.
Listing NGR: TF3876644927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings