This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.979 / 52°58'44"N
Longitude: 0.0628 / 0°3'45"E
OS Eastings: 538593
OS Northings: 344395
OS Grid: TF385443
Mapcode National: GBR KXX.BP2
Mapcode Global: WHHLR.YD22
Entry Name: Old School
Listing Date: 19 November 1951
Last Amended: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191933
Location: Butterwick, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE22
Civil Parish: Butterwick
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Butterwick St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 34 SE BUTTERWICK SCHOOL LANE
12/19 Old School
(formerly listed as
19.11.51 The Girls' school)
Former school, now village hall. Founded 1665, extended and
altered 1878 and C20. Red brick, ashlar dressings, with raised
brick coped tumbled gable to left and moulded kneeler; fishscale
tiled roofs. L-plan. Single storey, altered 4 bay front with
brick plinth and band rising over formal central door and
flanking windows in Fen Artisan Mannerist style. Dogtooth eaves
course. Central C19 cross mullioned window flanked by single 3
light mullioned windows with ashlar surrounds, which are in part
original. Latticed cast iron casements. Above C19 2 light
shallow fixed lights. To left a lower C19 single bay extension
also with latticed casements. To right is a slightly advanced
gabled bay of 1878 containing a triple mullioned window. In the
left hand later gable a shield bears the date of 1659. To the
rear a projecting chimney stack has a C19 octagonal ashlar stack.
It is flanked by single 2 and 3 light mullioned windows matching
those to the front. The rear range is dated 1878 in raised
brickwork. The school, originally for Boys, was endowed by
Anthony Pinchbeck, yeoman of Butterwick. Source: Thompson.
History of Boston.
Listing NGR: TF3859344395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings